Thread: How do I safely make this cut?

Question How do I safely make this cut?

Hi all,

looking for some advice - have some maple glued up 3.5" x 3.5" x 12"

project requires it to be cut at a 45* along the 12" length - which should leave me with 2 right triangles each of which has both faces of ~3.5", and each is 12" long. Note I only really need one piece like this.

Hopefully that makes sense

I have table saw, jointer/planer, bandsaw, miter saw (access to other tools likely if needed).

Logical choice would be table saw - I have a Sawstop ICS. Concerned about kickback - riding the fence with the left tilt blade at 45, worried the offcut might bind between the blade and table. Rational concern?

Other thoughts are bandsaw or jointer - not confident I can accurately cut this along the bandsaw, but could try (using tilted table). Jointer would probably work using tilted fence, but again not confident I can do it accurately.

Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks!

(for those curious, a co-worker asked me to make a jig for her box stitching hobby).

Just thinking out loud, I've never done this either. Make a v shaped jig that will hold it and just cut it at 90 on the ts.

Cut with the band saw and clean up the face with the jointer.
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Do you know what the depth of cut is on your table saw at 45? You might need to do it in two stages. If that's required I would also go with bandsaw and jointer

I would use the bandsaw and a hand plane. Since you only need one piece, cut a bit wide on the bandsaw and bring down to the line with the hand plane. Easy and quick.

With the faces being 3 1/2 inches thete is no way to do this in one pass with table saw. I think a bandsaw is required with a sled to hold the piece properly.

Handsaw - less than a minute, no noise, safe. Clean up with handplane.

Thanks all - will setup a practice run using pine on the bandsaw, see how it goes. Stans suggestion of cutting it wide and planing it is a good one.

On the ts depth of cut, it's definitely two passes - 3.5^2 + 3.5^2 = x^2 yields just about 5" - definitly don't have that!

the v jig on the table saw is also interesting to me - will think on that as well!

Doh, I forgot about ripping by hand! 12 inch long is no problem.

If you're not into hand planes cut it oversize on the band saw then a V jig thru the planer
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Instead of sawing the hypotenuse, saw the sides of the triangle, your 10 inch saw will do that without issue.........Rod.

Rod - that's a great idea - thanks! Do you think I need to worry about kickback with the blade in that case, or it's safe to try it?

Hi Joshua, use a splitter/riving knife, blade guard and proper push blocks/sticks to make the cut.................Rod.