Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really stupidly high quality wood...

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I get most of my guitar wood by carefully picking through the piles at the local woodworking stores..

A lot of woodworkers and cabinet makers want flat sawn wood because its easier to match in large projects than quartersawn.. And while they may appreciate the beauty of a really unique piece of wood - the trouble becomes matching it... And so it gets left behind for somebody like me..
    I think what Don was referring to was that quartersawn wood expands and contracts half as much as flat / plainsawn, which is important in guitars.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Yes. I build acoustic guitars as a hobby. I get most of my quartersawn wood from exotic and domestic hardwood lumber...

If you don't want to saw your own (perfectly valid) - there are several very good luthier supply places that sell it in the dimensions you need....

Don't overlook Aaron Hix and Bob Cefalu. Allied lutherie often has some good stuff.

There are also individual
    Luthiers who will sell out of their stashes such as John Hall...

Huge props to Old World Tonewood.
    The guy is a violin maker who started the company to get his own stash.
    He has the nicest Euro Spruce that I've had the pleasure of working with.
    His maple and other stuff is likely great too.

Colonial tone woods is great.

Luthier's mercantile can be hit or miss. I've had great wood, and some very bad wood too.