Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning mortise and tenon joint to be flush

Tuning mortise and tenon joint to be flush

Hi all - I am building a table saw extension table and using it as an excuse to hone my M&T joint making skills. I did pretty well with the tenon widths and shoulders. All the joints fit nice and snug but easily installed with some hand pressure. My tops of my rails and posts are all aligned as well.

The problem is that on some of my joints one side of the joint is slightly proud of the other. In other words where I have a rail with a tenon connected to a table leg with a mortise there is a 1/16th inch offset between the two pieces on their plane - one piece is proud of the other. The gap is NOT between the joint - that is tight and I used a shoulder plane to adjust that.

So I guess I didn't have my jig set properly for edge location when I did the mortises.

Maybe im searching using the wrongs terms but I can't find anything that describes how to fix this problem. Lots of advice on adjusting shoulders and tenon width, etc. But nothing on how to fix when the faces of the pieces aren't flush.

Any advice?

Is your stock the same thickness? Are the mortises in the center of the workpiece? Is the tenon in the center of the workpiece?

As far as I can tell if the answers are yes,yes and yes the faces will flush out

Can't you just plane the protruding face(s) flush with the other parts of the frame? I wouldn't adjust your tenons or mortises as they are already a good fit and you'll end up chasing your tail

I like chasing my tail to get it correct

Cut the offending tenon face until the stretcher and leg faces are flush. Then glue another piece of stock on the other side of the tenon and recut that face so it fits the mortise.

John

Two things:

1) Since you're doing this for practice, it's important to do a root cause analysis in order to learn. John's questions will send you down that path.
    2) To fix what you have now, I would just hand plane a taper into the face of the piece sitting proud of the other. 1/16" shouldn't take that much work, and it's easy to sneak up on it. If you don't tend to use hand planes, then the upside is that you get to learn another new skill!

Have fun.

Peter

Thanks for the replies!

I used a router with an edge guide to create the mortises. I did my best but it was tricky work to get it perfectly set so I must have been slightly off. I also tried a method where I created a template out of mdf that was the right size and offset to use a bushing. Problem with that method is you have to glue on a guide and I must have been off on that one too.

A slight taper won't matter and I'm always looking for an excuse to use a hand plane. Plus if I trim the tennon then I need to mill a perfect piece for the other side and that feels tricky to get right without a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rosner View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

I used a router with an edge guide to create the mortises. I did my best but it was tricky work to get it perfectly set so I must have been slightly off. I also tried a method where I created a template out of mdf that was the right size and offset to use a bushing. Problem with that method is you have to glue on a guide and I must have been off on that one too.

A slight taper won't matter and I'm always looking for an excuse to use a hand plane. Plus if I trim the tennon then I need to mill a perfect piece for the other side and that feels tricky to get right without a lot of work.

No, glue on an piece thicker than you need and then recut and tune the tenon to fit your mortise.

John

Dave,

It sounds like you have a solution. I'll offer a comment regarding root causes and preventing this in the future. I have learned that I can't use an "industrial" approach when cutting M&T joints. The mortises often get cut slightly off one way or another, despite being cut with a jig as accurately as I can. I cut the mortises and then I mark out each tenon to fit, almost as if I were going to cut them by hand. So, I don't necessarily center the tenon on the work piece. I position the tenon to accommodate any variation in the actual position of the mortises. This will also take care of any variation in the thickness of the tenon stock.

Doug

You are looking at it wrong. Change the design. On much of what I have made I purposely make it so the tenon piece is below flush by 1/8". That way if it is off by 1/32" you can not see it.
    I use this idea in table aprons, chair bases etc.
    I actually use biscuits not tenons but the design is the same..
    Bill D.

Scribe the shoulder line around the rail - it must meet exactly, which means that all is square.

Now pare away the waste with a chisel, working to to line, and finally in the line. This should result in a perfect tenon.

Regards from Perth

Derek

In our sash/door shop we set up our mortiser (either chain or chisel) first, making sure the mortise is "exactly" in the center of the work piece. Next we do the same at one of our PM tenoners. We always keep a short sample (6") or so for checking as we run additional stiles or rails. The mortiser will cut an accurate dimension and the tenon can be fit within a few thou to get the desired fit.

Every ten pieces we check with the go/no go gauge

It's very important to mark the face side of each piece before you start, and then do all of your setups and measurements from that face side. It's also very easy to make tenons slightly off center and then get the piece installed with the back facing the front or inverted end for end.. Do all of your measurements and setups, even glue ups with the pieces facing the same way, also label the tenon ends to match the mortises, mortise A to match tenon A, mortise B to match tenon B, etc.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    It's very important to mark the face side of each piece before you start, and then do all of your setups and measurements from that face side. It's also very easy to make tenons slightly off center and then get the piece installed with the back facing the front or inverted end for end.. Do all of your measurements and setups, even glue ups with the pieces facing the same way, also label the tenon ends to match the mortises, mortise A to match tenon A, mortise B to match tenon B, etc.

Charley
    +1 Charley, the faces must be kept with the faces and each joint matched to it's mate and glued. No rocket science, just a little time to get things right

I see that my earlier reply mis-understood the question and replied about tenon shoulders being misaligned when it is the tenon cheeks which are the problem.

While a rule for all woodworking, one technique that is emphasised when using hand tools is that you always work from a reference side. It is unnecessary to centre mortices or tenon; all that is important is that all marking out (such as scribing with a gauge) is done from the reference side. All joints should go together if cut accurately.

To repair this off-set mortice and tenon, determine which is out-of-line with the referenced side. It could be either. If it is the mortice, then one could fill the mortice with a loose tenon, and re-make it. Or one could plane the one side of the tenon cheek to the correct position and add a shim to the other side. The former is a stronger joint than the latter, but (depending on how you make your joints) the latter could be easier to do.

Regards from Perth

Derek