Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exhaust system for new laser

Question exhaust system for new laser

Newbie here,,,buying a new laser machine and the sales rep has quoted along with the machine an exhaust unit for over $5000 (cnd). Just wondering how others exhaust the fumes out of their shops? Wondering if I really need this unit or not?

Depends. I'm assuming you are going to be burning, charring, melting, cutting..... All of which has some sort-of by product. Some more than others. You either breath it or exhaust it. If the $5,000 was just for the exhaust it's some sort-of indoor filter, very nice to have. The other option is venting outdoors with a $200 blower.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 08-28-2017 at 7:10 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Residential or Commercial ?....... Length of run to outside ?..... recommended CFM at laser table? ..........

I'm in a commercial area and I exhaust right out the machine thru the wall to the outside. 4" Inline fan unit. Low noise level, low friction loss, no odor complaints next to a gas station.

Residential may require a roof stack outlet to get the fume mixed so complaints are abated....requires larger fan unit to push/pull air depends on length of run.

$5,000 unit has carbon filters that are expensive to replace but in a trade show environment would be a necessity...

Hope this helps!

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Yes, I will be burning, melting, cutting etc and I believe the exhaust unit is an upsell from the sales rep perhaps.

I will be putting the machine in my small shop at the lake so located in the sticks so to speak. Don't think exhausting to outside would be much of an issue around there.

Length of run would be very, very minimal

i figured maybe the $5000 unit was an unnecessary add on.

Jennifer,

In your case all you need is a dust collector style blower that will cost you less than $500.00 including all hardware and hose to vent outside.
    Filtration systems are costly and will require frequent change of filters and odor eliminating carbon pellets.

Where in Canada are you? I may be able to suggest which blower to go with.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Hi Tony, I am in New Brunswick. Any info would be much appreciated.

Do you have a Busy Bee Machinery locally?
    See their web page........ look at CT126 dust collector. That is what I have and it works great. They also have all attachments and hose you need.

http://www.busybeetools.com/categori...st-Collectors/
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

There is a Busy Bee close enough that I could get there no problem (4 hours). Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that online. I was also on the Quatro website looking at some units. I thought I might reach out to them as well.

Hello Jennifer: I too live on a lake in Canada, but in B.C. Here is what I have for a set-up. It's a 3 hp shop vac that take the fumes out of my Speed 400. It's 20 feet from my machine & I have no problem with it taking all the fumes out of my shopblower.JPG

Thanks Ron for the info. I am becoming more and more convinced that I don't need to invest in a $5000 unit as was suggested.
    Isn't lake life wonderful!

If it is four hours to drive, you can order a good fan via Amazon and get the tubing/ducting/piping from Amazon too if you don't have a nearby home center that stocks that stuff. Do a search here for past recommendations.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Hello Doug: Amazon kicks us in the butt when they have to deliver to Canada....lol

Jennifer: For what it will cost you to drive there, save the gas money. They will ship it to you free it the order is over $ 100.00. They did it for me & I live 6 hours from Busy Bee Tools. Yes, lake life is good. But my wife & I winter in P.V. Mexico for the winters..lol life is really good..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sleeman View Post
    Jennifer: For what it will cost you to drive there, save the gas money. They will ship it to you free it the order is over $ 100.00. They did it for me & I live 6 hours from Busy Bee Tools. Yes, lake life is good. But my wife & I winter in P.V. Mexico for the winters..lol life is really good..lol
    We are going to Puerto Vallarta this winter for a week. Never been there but going with young relatives who speak Spanish. Gene