Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: v board.

v board.

This may sound like a dumb question, but, I'm in a spot with a customer, & dealing with their "specifics" shall we say. She walked into my shop a few weeks back, & being an older lady, I stopped what I was doing & asked her to have a seat. She had three pieces of paper in her hand. One with one of the projects drawn out to the letter. The other two had pictures of the projects she wanted constructed. And this young lady is a retired school marm at that! I look over her dream list, & ask the usual questions. How soon? Any particular colors? RUSTIC she says! As rustic as possible! Well, I can accommodate that part easy enough, I explained to her. Then we got around to the budget word. She says "I have no budget." I looked at her for a minute, & asked her if she had any idea what the price of barnwood was a bdft? She said no. I calmly said, well, you're probably not going to like it. On top of $25/hr shop rate. Her grin faded. So, after she left, & before I went back to the scroll saw, I was studying one of her pictures. It has v board in the project. Now, here's my question. How, or is there a way I can make this "V" board for her project at a reasonable cost? I've never worked with it, but no doubt, it's going to be hard to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And my sincere apologies for the length. Brad.
    Sawdust703

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Barnhart View Post
    ...It has v board in the project. Now, here's my question. How, or is there a way I can make this "V" board for her project at a reasonable cost? I've never worked with it, but no doubt, it's going to be hard to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And my sincere apologies for the length. Brad.
    I give up. What is a "V" board?

JKJ

On top of $25/hr shop rate.
    Stop working for free.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I give up. What is a "V" board?

JKJ
    I'm guessing tongue and groove?

well, its panels with v's in it. You can buy it at hd for a high price. It was also used in older houses. Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought. my apologies for lookin' for advice. I'll just make it myself. Enjoy the day.
    Sawdust703

I don't live in a community that will support a higher wage. And the post wasn't about wages. Let me worry about that part. You take care of you. I'd appreciate it.
    Sawdust703

nope. not tongue & groove. I think I've got it figured out. I should've done my research before I posted. Like I said, my sincere apologies. thanks for the help, oh, & the wage advice, too. I'll pass that to my boss. Our community is 1300 folks. Enjoy the day, & don't do anything for free!!!!
    Sawdust703

Yes, you could make "v board".

Just make tongue and groove 1x 6 and then cut the small 45 near each side with a router.

I am shocked that people do not know what v board is. Try a Google for "pine v board".

Is v board the same as bead board?

nope. not tongue & groove. I think I've got it figured out. I should've done my research before I posted. Like I said, my sincere apologies. thanks for the help, oh, & the wage advice, too. I'll pass that to my boss. Our community is 1300 folks. Enjoy the day, & don't do anything for free!!!!

Use a magic moulder or similar tool in the tablesaw. I've made acres of beaded panels this way. When they get big, it can be tough to keep it moving smoothly without a powerfeed.
    Or, sub it out to someone with a cnc.
    Or, you could do it manually with a hand held router, a straight edge and a V bit, but that'd be a massive pain.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-29-2017 at 4:40 PM.

For a one shot deal, I would just use plywood, with a straight edge, a router and V bit. Spacer it over to keep the pattern going.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

On top of $25/hr shop rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Stop working for free.
    I would rejoice and take my wife out to dinner if I could get $25 an hour regularly in my area.

well, its panels with v's in it. You can buy it at hd for a high price. ...
    Thanks, learned something. I had searched google for "v board" and mostly found a bunch of links for "Brown v Board of Education".

Yes, boards with v's shouldn't be too bad to make. It might be more difficult to make freshly cut v's look "rustic" to one customer's eyes!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Use a magic moulder or similar tool in the tablesaw. I've made acres of beaded panels this way. When they get big, it can be tough to keep it moving smoothly without a powerfeed.
    Or, sub it out to someone with a cnc.
    Or, you could do it manually with a hand held router, a straight edge and a V bit, but that'd be a massive pain.

My shop is in a town of 235 people. Woopty do.

Try not being a snot, you'll get treated like dirt pretty quickly on the interweb.
    You really need to look in the mirror instead if through your rose colored glasses.

You can ignore an individual poster or a list of posters. Click on "forums", then "forum Actions" "general settings". Under "my account" on the left hand side (list), click on "edit ignore list". Add the person's name to that list (the name they use on the forum). You will not see any more of that person's postings.

Mike
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-29-2017 at 4:54 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I had searched google for "v board" and mostly found a bunch of links for "Brown v Board of Education".

It overturned "Plessey vs. Ferguson"...so I did learn something in school

Since the "V"s in old work are planed and smooth ,I can only imagine that the "rustic" would come from a sawn surface.