Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaker Style stepstool

Gene,

Very well done!!

Richard,
    "... I also like to add defects in cherry sometimes..."
    When I saw the big knot, I said to myself shaking my head, "wow, he embraced the defects." It adds a ton of character. I've not done this yet...but will for sure now.

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Very nice Gene. I'm a big fan of step stools and people love to get them as gifts....especially when they are as classy as the one you've shown us. Watch out for tipping on that one!! The one I made like that for our kitchen years ago really loves to topple. Over the years, we've learned to keep it up against the cabinets and to distribute our weight subconsciously....But in the beginning...lots of falls and lots of near misses!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Gene, great job on the stool! I've always loved the look of through dovetails. Just out of curiousoty, which of your 2 dovetail jigs do you prefer to use?

Dan

That's a great looking stool Gene. In fact, the stool looks so good, that I wouldbe reluctant to use it.

That's lovely, Gene. Most of the time, I see these with one species, but I really like the contrast on your piece. As I have a similar unit on "my list", I may just steal that idea from you!! Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Nice job. I see that the DT's are not symetrical. Was this a design decision or a limitation of the jig you used?
    It was a design decision Alan, I could have made it symetrical.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Very nice Gene. I'm a big fan of step stools and people love to get them as gifts....especially when they are as classy as the one you've shown us. Watch out for tipping on that one!! The one I made like that for our kitchen years ago really loves to topple. Over the years, we've learned to keep it up against the cabinets and to distribute our weight subconsciously....But in the beginning...lots of falls and lots of near misses!
    Yes John, it looks and probably is tippy. Even though it is pretty heavy it is narrow. Thanks for the advice, we'll be sure it's up against something while in use.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Larson
    Gene, great job on the stool! I've always loved the look of through dovetails. Just out of curiousoty, which of your 2 dovetail jigs do you prefer to use?

Dan
    Dan,

I bought the Jointech to compliment the Akeda for boxes and other joinery. The Jointech will certainly do everything the Akeda will do and much more, but is not as simple to use, particularly when making through dovetails. There are more steps required for using the Jointech or Incra system and plenty of opportunity for mistakes. But to be fair, I am not really up to speed on the Jointech either. The Jointech fence and clincher can do a lot of things the Akeda can't do such as small Dovetails, box joints, double dovetails and more. You just need a lot of wood! Hope this answers your question.

Gene

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Love the stool, Gene! I've made a couple step stools myself, of a different design, but with the top dovetailed to the sides. I notice that your tails are on the sides, with the pins in the horizontal pieces. I made mine the other way, with the tails in the horizontal. My thinking in doing so was to prevent any tendency for the sides to pull away from each other. What do you think? Any real advantage to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle
    Love the stool, Gene! I've made a couple step stools myself, of a different design, but with the top dovetailed to the sides. I notice that your tails are on the sides, with the pins in the horizontal pieces. I made mine the other way, with the tails in the horizontal. My thinking in doing so was to prevent any tendency for the sides to pull away from each other. What do you think? Any real advantage to that?
    Hi Steve,

From a visual standpoint, I think I like to see the pins from the side. However I haven's seen it your way, maybe if I did I might prefer it. You might have something from the strength standpoint, pretty much impossible for yours to come apart. Time will tell on this one. Thanks for the compliments.

Gene