Thread: Threading jig which tpi do you use and why? (also which tpi do you not like?)

Threading jig which tpi do you use and why? (also which tpi do you not like?)

I have been thinking hard (too hard) about picking up a threading jig. I was looking at several tpi's.

16 seems to be recommended by many as a base.

18 or 20 seem to be next for hard dense woods.

I will be doing smaller items, boxes . Ring size through probably 3 -4 inches. Mostly 2 1/2 - 3 1/4.

I turn mostly native woods to ohio, but open to other. Want to start with some harder exotics. Most of the work will be standard hardwood.

What tpi do you find works best for boxes of these sizes? Also, is there a tpi that you found did not work for much?

Thanks
    Michael

I turn domestic hardwood boxes the same size you do and find 10 tpi works best for me. I get a more robust thread that works with hard maple, walnut and pear. A 16 tpi yields a much finer thread that is prone to chipping out. Additionally 10 tpi means that I don't have to screw the lid on with excessive multiple turns. My 2 cents

3. My threading jig has 2 size threads........16 and 10 tpi..........I much prefer the look and strength of the 10 tpi.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    I have been thinking hard (too hard) about picking up a threading jig. I was looking at several tpi's.
    TN turner and demonstrator John Lucas threads more than anyone I know. I'll ask him tomorrow for recommendations on wood and TPI.

A lot depends on the wood. A hard, fine-grained wood like dogwood or boxwood, holly, persimmon (a type of domestic ebony), can take much finer threads. I like cocobolo and african blackwood and a few others. (You can get box-sized african blackwood chunks for about $10, cut for clarinet bells.) Confession: I am a card-carrying wood-collecting maniac, low on common sense according to my wife - last time I counted I had something like 130 species on hand. Somebody help me.

End grain pieces are better for threads since they don't go out of round as much with the seasons like face grain.

I have a brother near Columbus - next time he comes to visit should I send some persimmon with him?

BTW, I have a Baxter jig from Best Wood Tools and hand thread chasers from Mark St Leger.

JKJ

Dennis Pauliss, also a TN woodturner and demonstrator, has shown his techniques, and his home brewed threading system. He uses a HF cross feed vise machined the bottom to fit the ways and gap of a desktop lathe, and uses the spindle and a collet and drawbar with a 60 degree cutter. Look him up and see if ha=e can send instructions. I believe he sells components for his device, also.
    Here's Dennis' website: https://sites.google.com/site/dennis...oodturner/home, and email address:dpaullus@rittermail.com
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 08-30-2017 at 7:19 AM. Reason: added info
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I have mine set up for 8 and 16 TPI. It is a homemade rig that I used all threads for the thread shaft. I use an adaptor to fit my chucks etc., to the 3/4-16 all thread. I have a 20, but the only chuck that will fit it is a drill chuck, so it rarely gets played with.

I have the Baxter Thread Master and 8,10,16 and 24 threading heads. My favorite is the 16 threads per inch. All are good, some better suited for particular projects but 16 is best for me all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    I have the Baxter Thread Master and 8,10,16 and 24 threading heads. My favorite is the 16 threads per inch. All are good, some better suited for particular projects but 16 is best for me all around.
    I'm shocked, no 20, 18, 14, or 12 pitch? You better call right away! Here's his phone number to make it easy: (931) 788-0429

I have just the 16 and have been considering buying another. Just curious, have you used the 8 pitch? I like a coarse thread for things like gavels but so far I've just used a tap and die set (and might be difficult for the threader.)

gavels.jpg

JKJ

John I use the 8 for things related to my lathes 1" X 8 and 1 1/4" X 8. Easier than using the Beall Spindle Taps. I have used the 8 once for a lid on a piece but prefer the 16. The 10 was used for mallets and worked well for that, different sized cutters are used dependent on size of threading. Especially with the 24 pitch and very small pieces (a 1/4" cutter). Just visited with Victor and his wife at SWAT last weekend and will see them again in Cincy in Oct. at Turning 2017 (maybe I need the 20 pitch ). I should add that whatever Victor does it is done with precision that you do not often see. I consider him a master machinist!
    Last edited by Bill Blasic; 08-31-2017 at 6:28 AM.

threading, John Lucas

Bill, that makes sense.

Michael, I asked John Lucas last night about the tpi and wood. He said he said when using a threading jig he has cut threads of a variety of sizes in all kinds of wood. When hand chasing threads he very much prefers Boxwood. His favorite size is 16 pitch but sometimes uses 12 and 20 on larger and smaller pieces. He threads "conventional" turned boxes, Christmas ornament boxes, and even a little box hidden in the back of one of his hand mirrors.

The threading jigs I've seen are made for specific sized lathes. If you keep two lathes it might be useful to get the jig that fits the secondary lathe so you can leave it set up while turning on the other. (Mine fits on the Jet 1642 while I turn on a larger Powermatic.) Some people build a simple lathe-like threading "platform" from wood to hold and position the jig and drive the cutter with some sort of rotary tool. It doesn't have to be as precise and sturdy as a lathe.

JKJ

Thanks everyone for your help.

I am leaning towards a bestwoods baxter. Good to know Best Woods will be Cincinnati in October. I will try to make it there to take a look.

JKJ, thanks for the tip on keeping it setup. I have my vicmarc 300 setup with the extension on the outboard side, so it will be perfect to set up the treading jig on the outboard side and turn the boxes on the inboard. I appreciate you asking John Lucas for his favorites.

Bill, thanks for sharing your threads. I like the idea of the 8 pitch for lathe accessories, I did not think of that.

This group is a font of excellent information. Thank you all for your thoughtful answers.

JKJ, I had better use up some more of the wood I have, thank you for the very generous offer though.

Happy Turning All,
    Michael

Bill,

I just read your review in the September "More Woodturning" magazine. https://www.morewoodturningmagazine....216&reviewsid=

Thank you very much for the great article.

Michael