Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic selling price of a newly delivered Hammer A3-41 to buy a 5-way combo?

Realistic selling price of a newly delivered Hammer A3-41 to buy a 5-way combo?

Long story short, I rushed a purchase of this jointer/planer without thinking my full shop plans through. I love it, but now I regret not buying a full 5-function Euro combo machine. It has only been used once to test the cutting, so essentially it is brand new and comes with the silent cutting heat (helix), and digital height gauge for the planer. Shipping was around $600, and total sticker price ~7k.

Is there any chance I can get 6k for this thing locally (Tucson Arizona)?

I want to sell this along with my 52" Sawstop to fund what I really need/want.

Have you called the dealer to see what or if they would offer as a trade assuming you are sticking with Felder/Hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Have you called the dealer to see what or if they would offer as a trade assuming you are sticking with Felder/Hammer?
    yes. They are willing to work with me, but I would have to pay return shipping and they would sell it as a used piece of equipment and offer me what they make from it. They recommended I try to sell locally first.

Couple of options that may work although I have no idea whether you'll get 6k - post it on Craigslist locally, post it on the classifieds here and post it on the Felder Owner's Group on Yahoo

Hi Joshua, is there a burning reason you want the square shaped 5 function machine as opposed to the saw/shaper and jointer/planer?

I went with the 2 machines because it's easier if you have a rectangular shop, the J/P goes against the wall to save space.

If you really want the 5 function, simply arrange your two machines in the 5 function shape, the only difference I can think of is that the rip fence for the saw changes profile, and part of it is is on the jointer outfeed table.

Talk to Felder about the possibility, the two machines should bolt together,

Regards, Rod.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    People can be sticklers about what they considered "used" equipment to be worth, no matter how slightly used it is. I think your only chance at $6K would be to find a buyer who needs it ASAP, and is willing to pay to reduce Felder's delivery time. A wider advertising area, with potential higher shipping costs might help you find the ASAP buyer.

That said, I fully agree with Rod, as I have a pair of combos and would not want a single machine.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    People can be sticklers about what they considered "used" equipment to be worth, no matter how slightly used it is. I think your only chance at $6K would be to find a buyer who needs it ASAP, and is willing to pay to reduce Felder's delivery time. A wider advertising area, with potential higher shipping costs might help you find the ASAP buyer.

That said, I fully agree with Rod, as I have a pair of combos and would not want a single machine.
    What is your reason for not wanting a single machine? Freeing up space was my main goal.

Joshua, Rod is correct - you could easily create almost the same footprint as a C3 by purchasing a B3 and mounting it close to the A3 if that is your goal. Essentially the only difference is you have a wider jointer/planer (410mm vs 310mm). Even if you can't bolt them together, the footprint is not going to be substantially different. Might be the most cost effective route

Not that you asked, but I say keep the separates!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Bass View Post
    What is your reason for not wanting a single machine? Freeing up space was my main goal.
    Josh,
    It fit my requirements better. I leave the slider/shaper permanently against a wall (limiting my right of blade rip, but never been a problem) and the JP is mobile which allows me to get it out of the way to put a car in between them. This was required to get permission from wife to buy them, as single combo even just stored against the wall, would not allow car inside. Guess I was a special case that may not be generally applicable. Still I've managed to convince myself that I got what I really wanted, so I am happy camper. And I've got a happy wife.
    James
    Last edited by James Baker SD; 08-29-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: addition

Depends how fast you want to sell it. I'd say one board cut or a year won't make any difference on price. I am not opposed to buying used and I'm not one of those who automatically thinks used me 50% off. But I don't think I'd buy used for $6K unless it was equipped exactly like I wanted. Also I don't think the warranty transfers. I would seriously consider a saw + shaper to add. How big is your shop? I live in Tempe and have a Felder KF700SP saw shaper in a 3 car garage so you could judge that at least.

Well, I'd be one of your potential buyers if we were in the same area, but truthfully I don't think I'd be tempted at 6k, especially if what Joe says about the warranty is true.

No informed hammer potential customer would buy even a no cut as new hammer from you without major discount. Why would you give up the warranty and dealer relationship?

Get separate saw shaper like a 700 felder Tool opportunity.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Seperate machines have the advantage that if something goes wrong the whole machine is not put out of commission or if one part of the machine no longer suits the work you are doing it can be replaced.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Two weeks ago I ordered an A3-41 with SilentPower, mobility kit, digital aluminum wheel and a 16" extension with two mounting rails and it was $6847 including $800 freight. As James said, unless someone just has to have it now or doesn't bother to check, $6000 is a little strong.