Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'mma' just leave this here

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    There won't be any tight curves cut with that blade.....Just my personal opinion.

No there will not.

Hearne has a giant saw with an equally giant blade that they use for resawing "really big logs"...dem teeth do the job! That's a really nice setup there, Erik!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wonder what the cutoff point is for moving the saw through the material versus moving the material through the saw. That has to be getting close.

The old growth redwood mills the band saw is stationary and the logs move.
    I looked it up and the current saws at the Scotia mill only go to 72" diameter.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-30-2017 at 7:58 PM.

I've visited a redwood mill in northern California, where the main saw is a bandsaw with wheels that are seven feet in diameter, and a blade that is 44 feet long. It can saw logs up to six feet in diameter. The blade about six inches wide, and has two teeth per foot IIRC. The gullets are big, because they run the log through the saw at several feet per second. They sharpen the blade every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    There won't be any tight curves cut with that blade.....Just my personal opinion.
    I don't know - if you stone the back of the blade you might be able to coax a 10' radius curve out of that guy...

Johnson Lumber has one of those. I had then resaw some 14" Makore for me with it, cool iron.