Thread: Bought a Stanley #4 Plane - Tote & Tote screw is loose & Plane adjust is chipped

Bought a Stanley #4 Plane - Tote & Tote screw is loose & Plane adjust is chipped

I recently bought a Stanley #4 for ~$60. Upon inspection, the three most outstanding things were that the tote screw didn't fasten the tote down very securely (even if you tighten the screw a great deal), there's a small chip on the corner blade holder (the one oriented at 45 deg) about half the size of your pinky finger nail, and the lateral adjust is hard to rotate (I tried putting WD400 on the rivet but it's still gummy).

I was wondering if I should return it. I'm not sure how important, difficult or costly it'd be to replace the blade support or the tote/tote screw.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STANLEY-BAIL...72.m2749.l2649

The plane is otherwise in good shape.

I suggest you do some homework and read/watch about tuning a hand plane. A chip in the frog probably isn't a big deal from a mechanical standpoint, but it doesn't look like it was pointed out in the ad and the pictures don't show the frog by itself. Posting over in the neander section would probably be a good call too. I'd want a tuned up #4 for $75 though.

The tote screw issue is an easy fix usually resulting from the threads bottoming out before you get a good clamp on the tote from the brass nut. You can correct the problem by grinding a very small amount from the threaded rod.

That said, I agree with Matt that you paid a pretty hefty price for a #4 with frog damage.

If you are anywhere near Columbus OH, I have several spare #4's (off brand) from which you can choose. They mostly just need a good cleaning.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Like other I would throw it back. That's too much to pay for a possible frankenplane (the ill-fitting tote may indicate part-swapping) with frog damage.

The lateral adjust thing is probably just a matter of cleaning.

Ill fitting totes are because they SHRINK over time. Take about three threads off the end.....will tighten things right up.

Sometimes, the lateral lever gets bent into a bind. CAREFULLY bend it up a hair, not much. Add a few drops of PBBlaster at the rivet, let it soak awhile....then start to move the lever back and forth.

No, it is NOT a Frankenplane.

Not sure what the 45 degree "blade holder" you are talking about is... Lever cap? Too many "Craftsman" use the lever caps end ( that contacts the chipbreaker) as a screwdriver, to remove the iron from the chipbreaker.....and will snap off a chip at a corner. Some never learn this is a no-no, as I have seen a few with BOTH corners banged up....

Very late models used a hollow pin under the toe of the rear handle, instead of casting a nub in the base. They have a small hole instead, and the pin sits in a matching hole in the handle. Millers Falls Type 5s were bad about losing that little pin. Even their Jack planes had that instead of a bolt.

Whether you paid too much? That is up to you. A place near here wanted $45 for almost the same one....
    IMG_1607 (640x480).jpg
    Cleaned and sharpened back up, does nice work on maple and walnut...
    IMG_1601 (640x480).jpg
    Was used throughout the latest project..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 08-30-2017 at 8:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Not sure what the 45 degree "blade holder" you are talking about is... Lever cap? Too many "Craftsman" use the lever caps end ( that contacts the chipbreaker) as a screwdriver, to remove the iron from the chipbreaker.....and will snap off a chip at a corner. Some never learn this is a no-no, as I have seen a few with BOTH corners banged up....
    In a Bailey-pattern plane there is only one part that "holds" the blade (as opposed to clamping it), and only one that makes a 45 deg angle. Fortunately those both happen to be the same part: The frog.

I just went to the Sales photos.....there is a small piece missing.....on the "boss" for the lateral lever's rivet.....That is all I saw, even at full "zoom" . Non-issue...has zero effect on how the plane works.

IF you look under the frog, where that rivet comes through, there is a small chunk missing at the 7 o'clock position. Plenty of metal to hold the rivet. may have been broke when the peened the rivet......fugitaboutit....

Personally, I've got mixed feelings about this one. If I bought a plane and the guy didn't disclose that there was a chip out of the frog, especially after posting 20 high resolution photos, I would be upset. The only reason he wouldn't show it is because he wanted to push the price higher. Having said that, it's a pretty clean plane and a tiny chip from the frog isn't going to hurt a thing. I also agree you just need to grind an 1/8" off the tote rod and you will be good to go.

If it were me, I'd write the seller and express your displeasure at the "omission" of the chipped frog and tell him it's only worth $40 to you in that shape. He can either issue a call tag or give you a $20 refund which is more than a good price for a plane in that shape. Don't believe for a second when he tells you he never took the plane apart, that plane has been cleaned to the moon.

Let us know how you make out. The threat of negative feedback and calling out dishonesty is a pretty powerful motivator.

Pete