Thread: Looking for advice on wood bleaching

Looking for advice on wood bleaching

I have a small decorative table made out of Alder that I'm interested in bleaching to a bone white to be topcoated with WB polyurethane or some other non-yellowing topcoat like maybe CAB acrylic.

My issue is finding a product that will do this. Traditionally the method is to use a two part bleach. I've found out that Klean Strip discontinued theirs, and I'm also hearing that hazmat shipping status adds to the cost thus making a niche product even less desirable. I spent some time online and found a two part wood bleach product by Daly's, and one by Wood-Kote called Lite N Up. Also, Zinsser has a two part product, but their description doesn't seem to read as though it will do what I am seeking.

Does anyone have experience with any of these products, or another recommendation on how I can achieve the look I'm after?

Thanks

Edwin, you need ammonia and peroxide. Both should be available from a cleaning products supplier. Wet the surface liberally with the ammonia and then while it is wet, apply the peroxide. Let it dry a day or so, sand it and polish it.

Do the bleaching outside in the fresh air away from anything that matters if bleach drips on it. Wear gloves, apron and eye protection. Cheers

Per a FWW article: Daly's Wood Bleaching Solution. Dalyswoodfinishes dot you know. Haven't tried it myself.

Nelson

The product Nelson mentions will work. It is a proprietary form of what I recommended, ie an alkali and hydrogen peroxide. Cheers

Whink is white porcelain cleaner. All the marine guys I know swear by it for bleaching out mold, I must confess to trying it and being somewhat disappointed. Let us know what you decided on and how it works.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius