Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood that would match well with oak?

You run the risk of having it turn out like a patchwork quilt.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Stick with oak. Mixing wood species often spells amateur project.
    Of the 12 pieces in the Gallery section of the latest FWW, six have a single show species, six have two or more show species.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Of the 12 pieces in the Gallery section of the latest FWW, six have a single show species, six have two or more show species.
    How many of those were built by amateurs?

My name is earl, and i'm an amateur. I like white oak and dark walnut together, on some pieces. Red oak--when I use it--I don't normally introduce a second wood, though I have used some mesquite accents on a few pieces. Same with cherry, like it by itself.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Stick with oak. Mixing wood species often spells amateur project.
    A project I recently finished, though I'm totally an amateur:

IMG_20170701_133752.jpg

I ran out of oak and used hickory, and it looks a lot like oak.

RM--very nice.

Sometimes I can't avoid mixing species, in this case teak and Birdseye maple.

I must be a amateur cause in the kitchen build for my house going to have walnut floors with ash island and chery cabinets and some maple countertops mixed in with solid surface. And trim going to be hickory.

I seen entertainment cabinet today that was oak with some walnut inlays, thought would look crazy but actually looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    ...going to have walnut floors with ash island and chery cabinets and some maple countertops mixed in with solid surface. And trim going to be hickory...
    OMG! Couldn't you come up with a few more?

To the OP. If you have the tools, cut some veneer off the oak and make the legs out of whatever cheapness you can find, then veneer them.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    A project I recently finished, though I'm totally an amateur:

IMG_20170701_133752.jpg

Mr. Marty,
    this piece needs its own thread here on the creek, if it doesn't have one. It (and you, sir) deserves much better than being buried herein. This is FABULOUS. My life is better for having seen it. thanks for posting it.

Mission style QS oak with Hard maple top. Customer wanted maple top so he could see to tie flies better. I tried to talk him out of it but actually turned out alright.

IMG_0112.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wood that would match well with oak?
    Red or White Oak?

Personally, I favor white paint with Red Oak.
    My wife insists on Red Oak with Red Oak.....

& yes, that was a huge bone of contention a year ago when I redid the stairs in the family room. I wanted white risers & she didn't.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Marty - very cool piece, obvious built for a specialized purpose. Do drawers pull out normally, or possibly fold out to be open on the sides of the fly tier?

Oh, and it's of course very ametuer as Mr bassette would say. 🙄

Nice kitchen Martin! I like the natural wood and painted combination. And the floor matches well too. Wood flooring in a kitchen introduces vexing matching challenges!

In the nautical environment there is what is termed the "Herreshoff finish" which is widely admired. It combines natural brite (varnished) wood with painted wood. It is found both inside and outside the boat. On the attached photo (but search "herreshoff finish" in a search engine and get lots of results) the hull and deck are painted, the shearstrake (not as large as it should be), cockpit combing and hatch as well as the transom are all mahogany, spars are spruce. It goes well together. Down below you will likely have painted oak ribs with painted Atlantic White cedar strips or planks. But in my opinion, even if brite, white oak seems to go well with Honduran mahogany, Cedar, Spruce, and painted finishes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius