Thread: Laser cut looks like static

Laser cut looks like static

I have one of those 40w Chinese lasers. It has worked fine for a good while.
    Suddenly the Laser cut lines look fussy and not clean cut.

I have re-aligned my mirrors, cleaned the mirrors, and put in a new output lens.
    I have cleaned and oiled the guide bar, a oiled the bearings and rollers.
    It cuts all lines as dawn, but they almost look like they are zig-zag stitching the lines.

Has anyone run into this before?

Could be wheels. Check that they are clean and that there aren't flat spots on them. If the gantry has play, they might need to be adjusted.

Have you double checked to make sure the lens is being held securely so that it is not shifting? The file is drawn correctly so that it is cutting vector instead of engraving, correct?
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Did you cut with air on? Is your lens dark in the middle now?
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

A picture would help. A loose lens might be the culprit.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

$1 says a mirror is loose
    You did what !

I'd take you up on that....but only after a picture.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shawa View Post
    I'd take you up on that....but only after a picture.
    Seen it many times on K40's, sometimes it can be the lens but the mirror makes stuff look like tiny lightening bolts when they are loose usually the mirror on the left hand side of the gantry but occasionally the laser head version if the tiny screw comes loose
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Been there and Done it! I checked three times before I installed in laser the last time I cleaned lens!!!!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Sorry for the long reply time. Your theory was good, but not the problem. After complete realignment procedure, I found the retaining ring for the second mirror just loose enough to allow rattle. All is cleared up now, and project completed on time. You guys have always given me good info.
    Thanks again

You would win a dollar. Retaining ring on second mirror was barely snug. Great cut now.

Only because I've seen it so many times even on my own machines that use screw locking mirror clamps
    You did what !