Thread: What type of wood is this?

What type of wood is this?

I've seen this a number of times in my career, and I've never know what it was. I need to make a new rocker for this little chair.4ECD7491-7C64-4474-85F3-0DF8DBDF2DCA.jpgB5DCFAFE-7386-4C5C-A4B1-1D0C5A30EFCD.jpg
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

I've milled a bit of elm, and this sure likes like that to me

Blog Entries
    My first thought was chestnut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks like elm to me.

Looks like elm with dark stain
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've seen it ,too. Old potty chair. Made same guesses as here,finally decided it was red oak cut close to stump. Looked to Hobbit House site for guidance .

Look closely at the rings - if the latewood pores are in wavy bands it could well be elm.

wood-elm.jpg elm.jpg

JKJ

Elm in my opinion.

I say ash.

The wavy bands indicate elm.

Identifying wood

Mike, as usual when someone posts a photo and asks for ID what he gets is guesses and opinions. Hard to expect more since wood ID by photo is notoriously inaccurate. So many species look the same and different boards from even the same tree can look the same. If you really want to know the easiest way is follow accepted guidelines for looking at end grain. Here are some: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...ication-guide/

I got started on the wood ID "hobby" after reading R. Bruce Hoadley's books. His book "Identifying Wood" is excellent. https://www.amazon.com/Identifying-W.../dp/0942391047 I've used my copy so much the pages are falling out!

Another resource for comparing your wood to known samples is hobbithouseinc.com. Here is the page for one candidate, American Elm: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...20american.htm

Also, every American citizen can get up to five free samples of wood identified by sending a small piece to the government Forest Products Lab. Instructions are at the bottom of the Wood Database ID page. They used to be very good and accurate; I haven't used them lately so I don't know if they, too, are casualties of spiraling costs and federal budget cuts.

JKJ