Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flameup- 3 Cornered

Flameup- 3 Cornered

Box Elder 3 Cornered Bowl.jpg
    Had not posted any work in a while, so this one is interesting because of the flame in the box elder, and it is 3 cornered. It is 8" wide and 6" tall, and has a more refined finish in person, as it was wet sanded with antique oil, thinned with MS, then several finish coats of satin WOP were added, and when held in the hands the light reflects off it nicely.

I took the pic with my ipad, handheld, and it appears to not have captured the finish as well as I would have liked, but it is an okay pic, and quickly done without having to do much setup of my photo booth, etc.

Comment always welcome!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very well done Roger. I love the shape and the red really just pops out.

Really nice idea and well executed. Nothing ever beats holding a piece and viewing it in person.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very nice, Roger. I'm curious how large the cube was when you first mounted it on the lathe.

That is a good looking. I really like everything abou it.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

That is a super first rate piece Roger. Very well done!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Had not posted any work in a while, so this one is interesting because of the flame in the box elder, and it is 3 cornered. It is 8" wide and 6" tall, and has a more refined finish in person, as it was wet sanded with antique oil, thinned with MS, then several finish coats of satin WOP were added, and when held in the hands the light reflects off it nicely.

I took the pic with my ipad, handheld, and it appears to not have captured the finish as well as I would have liked, but it is an okay pic, and quickly done without having to do much setup of my photo booth, etc.
    That is nicely done and beautiful wood. Turned from a cube?

Your photo would probably show the satin surface sheen if you added some light coming from the front, perhaps a lower light or two (to the side or sides), not too bright, diffused with a piece of thin tissue on the front. Or even hold a piece of white paper to reflect the light or the least shiny side of crumpled and straightened aluminum foil as a poor man's soft reflection screen.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Very nice, Roger. I'm curious how large the cube was when you first mounted it on the lathe.
    To be honest, Brice, I did not measure the thing. It was a gnarly piece of box elder, cut at at an angle on one end, and it had a couple of bark inclusions folded into the wood, and a vine on top of that. I just put it on the bandsaw, and began to cut, turn, cut some more, until I got it where I thought I could get most of the bark inclusion and vine out of the blank, and what was left I could turn away, depending on how I oriented the blank on the lathe. I just adjusted the saw fence as I went along, and didn't pay attention to the measurement.

Very nice piece, Roger.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Muchos Gracious, everyone!

11. Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Turned from a cube? JKJ
    It is turned from a cube, John, I just don't remember the size of the cube, but the finished bowl is 8" across and it is 6" tall.

A real eye catcher Roger, well done for sure.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I'm pretty new to turning, would you mind briefly describing the procedure to get the equal three points? I'm not sure I can imagine how it is done.
    Thanks.
    Beautiful work, btw!

14. Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    I'm pretty new to turning, would you mind briefly describing the procedure to get the equal three points? I'm not sure I can imagine how it is done.
    Thanks.
    Beautiful work, btw!
    Tom, begin with a cube of wood, placed between centers on opposite corners [I cut the corners off]. Then, turn a tenon on one end, put in chuck and turn outside paying close attention to the ghost shadows, and watch those fingers.....you can hurt yourself! I do the outside first, like any bowl, the go to hollow out the inside. The inside is more problematic for knuckle busting.....

Thanks! This forum has been so helpful - I've really appreciated everyone's willingness to share and help.