Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estate sale gloat

Estate sale gloat

Hi guys,

I rarely post, and don't even visit too often these days. But I had to share with a group of folks that could share my excitement in some tools I picked up at an estate sale. There were several Miller falls and Stanley bench planes on the table (I picked up a Type 11 #4C and a type 10 #3 for $18 apiece to give away), someone grabbed a Stanley #48 before I could get to it, but I happened to look under the table and there was a plastic bin full of planes. I grabbed it and took it to the outfeed table of the Unisaw and started sorting the planes into 2 piles - keeper vs not.

The 'not' pile was composed of various block planes (now that I think of it, I hope I didn't overlook that one of a kind block plane!). The 'keeper' pile is shown in the pics. I called the guy over and asked how much for the 7 tools I had laid out.

7 tools for $60

a minty English Stanley #92 and very good #90, and a very good+ USA #79

a minty Miller Falls cigar shave

a very good Preston small rabbet plane with matching numbers -pretty nice!

2 Stanley #140's , one missing the side plate. These are the first I have ever seen in the wild

I'm going to turn the #79 into a dovetail plane as Derek has done

Anyway, I had to share my good luck!

planes1.jpgplanes2.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Leimberger; 08-31-2017 at 5:46 PM.

Very nice indeed.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Well done. I love gloat threads.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Seriously good scores, particularly for that price.

It's funny how people at sales will overcharge for one item and undercharge for others. I went to a sale some distance from town, and the guy told me proudly how he'd looked up the prices of planes on eBay, so he was confident they were fair. He wanted some silly price for a Stanley No. 75, the bullnose rabbet plane that we all like to make fun of; and, when I picked up the Stanley 140 with side plate, he said, "$2.50." I'm surprised everyone at the sale wasn't deafened by the sonic boom of my wallet leaving my pocket.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-01-2017 at 1:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Very good find, I once had a #79 and sold it. Now I kind of wish it was still here. Oh well, life goes on.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-31-2017 at 5:49 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lol. I know what you mean. He had a tubing cutter for $7.50 that I could get new for $12. I did pick that up for $3 the second day as I can't find mine. I think he was pricing planes by the pound!

Very nice haul at a steal of a price!

You are of course correct on the #79. Fat fingers (or maybe head) twice in one post!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Leimberger View Post
    You are of course correct on the #79. Fat fingers (or maybe head) twice in one post!
    That is what the edit post button is for. Looks like yours was corrected, so I also changed my post.

It is a great little plane to have. I purchased a #98 & #99 and thought the #79 was redundant. Then Derek posted about making a dovetail plane, shucks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

You did very well.....
    Jerry

Jeff,

Ya did good! Very nice tools and super price.

Stew

I purchased some parallel pliers this week from Ebay and were without a center pin.
    I sent the seller a message and he called me. We shot the bull about the used tool business.
    He is 71 and operates the computer and ships.
    His partner travels the Southern states to garage sales, estate sales, used stores, or any place there are tools.
    "Buy in a small market and sell in a large market." is the old saying.
    Those two guys are making a living at it.

You found 7 tools in a small market.

13. I am often frustrated that I'm in such a large market, its hard to make good scores.

I don't think my wife would be so ok with me wandering around the country side all weekend looking for deals though

Blog Entries
    I don't think my wife would be so ok with me wandering around the country side all weekend looking for deals though
    Fortunately for me my wife is right next to me looking for her own deals.

jtk

We're happy for you!