Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of Screws to Use for Installing Kitchen Cabinets

Type of Screws to Use for Installing Kitchen Cabinets

What type of screw do you recommend using for installing kitchen wall and base cabinets to the studs in the wall. I'm looking for screw size (#8, #10. #12, etc). length, and head type. Manufacturer's name and model number could also be useful. The walls are 1/2" drywall with a plaster skim coat. The cabinets have a full back of 1/2" plywood, rabbeted into 3/4" plywood sides.

Also, what type of screw do you recommend using for attaching each cabinet to the adjacent cabinet. Again, recommendations for screw size (#8, #10. #12, etc). length, and head type would be appreciated.

And, where do you recommend buying these screws via the internet?

Thanks.

Bob

Roger shows the correct screw for attaching the cabinets to the wall. As for attaching two cabinets together I use trim head screws also available at a big box store.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

For fastening each cabinet to the adjacent cabinet i use long drywall screws. To align the fronts perfectly I remove the doors, mount the cabinets loosely to the wall, clamp the face frames together, drill and countersink for the screws, install the screws, then tighten the cabinets against the wall. I have no idea if there is a better way but this works for me.

EDIT: forgot to mention I drill through the face frames first deep enough for the screw using a bit sized for the screw threads, then again with a larger bit for thread clearance just deep enough to go through the first frame, then countersink. Might be able to get by without the clearance hole if the frames are clamped tightly but hey...
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-01-2017 at 8:29 AM.

+1 to those above, especially for attaching through to the walls and then for attaching the cabs to each other - THROUGH the FACE FRAME - and also for attaching trim sometimes, I use http://www.grkfasteners.com/products...screw/fin-trim

Don't use the "composites" as they have extra threads near the head which can add some difficulty especially if you need to withdraw the screw.

For attaching cabs to each other through the side walls I simply use GRK wood screws with the normal bugle head. These are all TORX drive and I prefer these to all other screw drive systems these days. Nearly all my screw use has gone to TORX. There are GRK alternatives that are less expensive but the brand varies according to your local stores so I can't specify. All available in nearly every lumber yard, box store, Amazon, etc.

The size is dependent on your materials. I usually use 3" #9 screws for attaching uppers to walls and then a range of #8s for other work.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

John, I think you have the right method but not the right screws.

I use drywall screws occasionally for jigs and stuff but wouldn't let them touch hardwood. Anybody else agree?

I really like the Kreg pocket hole screw. I have never had one break on me and the square drive means less stripping.

I definitely find the GRK screws to be the best ones that are readily available at a store. They have WAY more strength than drywall screws and come in a variety of sizes. My cabinets have 1/2" backs and i find the 3 1/8" cabinet screws are perfect. The 3 1/8 and 2 1/2" trim screws are perfect for face frames especially the ones that are threaded to the head.

I also use the heavier construction screws they make for framing alterations. I have never had an issue with the strength of any of there screws after several years of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I use drywall screws occasionally for jigs and stuff but wouldn't let them touch hardwood. Anybody else agree?
    Matt, yes. I am just a homeowner not a pro, but I have had many drywall screws snap off when used for anything other than drywall. I learned later that with their thin shafts, they're not designed for shear strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Stewart View Post
    I definitely find the GRK screws to be the best ones that are readily available at a store. They have WAY more strength than drywall screws and come in a variety of sizes. My cabinets have 1/2" backs and i find the 3 1/8" cabinet screws are perfect. The 3 1/8 and 2 1/2" trim screws are perfect for face frames especially the ones that are threaded to the head.

I also use the heavier construction screws they make for framing alterations. I have never had an issue with the strength of any of there screws after several years of use.
    Funny how we all develop different preferences. I wrote above NOT to use those fully threaded trim screws . My preference for the non composite/non threaded shank screws is based on 2 likely situations:

1)The screws without the added thread at the top are easier to direct in hardwood - especially - and even though I pre-bore when using any of these finish screws, the "composite" screws with the extra thread require a bigger drill bit or the hard wood tends to split. The bigger drill hole (to my way of thinking) means that the threads are not holding as well on the 2nd piece.

2) I sometimes use the finish screws to hold miters in big crowns or other trim. I prefer to assemble complex corners on the bench/saw horse table, rather than at the ceiling or cabinet top. Using the screws with the unthreaded upper shank I can easily reposition the screws without tearing apart my fragile assembly but with the upper threaded screws those extra threads actually pull apart the work if I try to withdraw. Not a problem for most cabinet install but if you ever need to pull the screw out, it becomes an aggravation. Those upper threaded screws also tend to blow out the wood when withdrawing and leave a bigger entry hole.

The wonderful thing about the GRKs and other torx drive screws is that you can drive and withdraw repeatedly without stripping the screw head. When it come to building jigs this is invaluable as the screw can be repositioned repeatedly or when you take apart your jig the screws are good to go for another project. I often do framing these days with torx screws and have taken work apart years later - the screws still being good to use again. Try that with dry wall screws.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

For base cabinets, nearly anything works. But for uppers, where the entire weight of the cabinets and the contents is hanging on the screws, I prefer #10 over #8. Mcfeelys sells #10 square drive screws in a variety of colors. https://www.mcfeelys.com/screw-faste...thread_size=80

Tighten by hand

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Matt, yes. I am just a homeowner not a pro, but I have had many drywall screws snap off when used for anything other than drywall. I learned later that with their thin shafts, they're not designed for shear strength.
    Perhaps I have better luck with drywall screws because I install most of the way with power then tighten by hand, lubricated with wax. Never had one snap. (I always tighten screws that way except for decks and building construction.) Of course, I'm not a professional installer, just a install my own and for friends. I put in a kitchen here about 13 years ago with all the cabinets made from hickory. I probably WOULD have snapped screws if power driven.

I paid someone to build the hickory cabinets to my specs but fired them when I saw how they connected the first two cabinets, ripped out what they did and did the installation myself.

JKJ

I strongly recommend the GRK screws in the top post. Few screws are designed for shear loads, those are. The are also torx head so to they don't strip.

check out the fastcap system - they are the bomb for cabinets. I hung a large corner upper with these things and before I hung the door or installed the shelves I took a picture of my wife sitting in the cabinet along with our 2 20# terriers & when I hung the doors I would climb in the cabinet & I weigh 200#. They have a huge flat head, come in #10 sizes and you can buy a tool from them that drills the pilot hole and a flat precise depth counter sink so that when you seat the screw with an impact driver you cover the screw head with a peel & stick cap that they sell with various wood species you can finish to match. You can't really see them after covered and they are the strongest screw system for hanging stuff on walls I have seen.

No issues using #8 in the GRK screws? I would think #10 screws would be more desirable for hanging cabinets.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!