Thread: Sheen for Conversion Varnish on Natural Cherry Kitchen Cabinets

Sheen for Conversion Varnish on Natural Cherry Kitchen Cabinets

I'm having cherry kitchen cabinets made with a natural finish of conversion varnish. What sheen of conversion varnish on a 0-100 scale do you recommend using?

Thanks.

Bob

10%

I like almost no shine.

Satin has been the standard we have used for probably the last 20-25 years- that should register as about a 60 on the scale.
    That said, I have done some recent work with a Matte finish which is about a 20-30 on the scale, as it is becoming more popular.
    Just remember, generally the flatter the sheen, the less clarity of finish.

I have switched to water-based Conversion and Urethane Varnishes. My supplier (General) has the Conversion Varnish in Satin (my preference), Semi-Gloss and Gloss and does not provide the number equivalents for that product. The same supplier (General) has a urethane varnish which I have also used (I like the ambering) and offers it in a range of sheens (listed below). Again I use the satin which is 30.

Sheen:Flat (10), Satin (30), Semi-gloss (50) andGloss (90)

My sense is that the water-based of the same listed sheen as their VOC equivalents seems less clear. I have no evidence for that besides my own impression.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I use "satin", but quite often I'd prefer more of a "matte" finish...not "flat", but less shiny than "satin" typically is.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use Valspar matte (10 sheen) almost exclusively. The clarity is excellent with 2-3 coats
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution