Thread: New Table Saw

New Table Saw

A friend is in the market for a new table saw. He has several options and is looking at the Felder line. What is the difference between the K500 and the K700 series? Also, he now has an older PM66 and wonders about doing thinks like cut tendon shoulders and sides on a Felder slider. He is a very accomplished woodworker and safety is a big concern. Neither he nor I have any experience with an European slider. Both of us have PM66s. Is it true that the European Sliders are considered as safe as the SawStop? Are there things that we do with a cabinet type saw that can't be done with a slider? What is the footprint of the big slider? Does that "arm" always stick out like it shows in the catalogs?

Lastly, we are in New Hampshire, Is there anyone in this area with a Felder slider that we could come and look at? Buying one without ever seeing one is a lot uncomfortable.
    Thanks, CPeter

Join Yahoo Felder Owner Group, email Brian Lamb at blamb11@cox.net. You will get answers from some very very experienced Felder machine owners. You probably will get better answers from people on Felder Owner Group that most sales people from Felder USA.

Also, watch some Felder videos on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNC...2B9Jaz2Hk8OYmg.

This one ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVYUss6pJqQ ) illustrates all the nice features on the slider.

K700 is better than K500, heavier build, some features are not available on K500, like DRO (digital readout)

James

CPeter, I'll add that many operations that one might normally do on a traditional table saw are possible on a slider, but in some cases, the technique might need to change or a different type of jig might be required. And there are a lot of "new" (different) ways to do things. There is a little bit of learning curve in that respect as you'll pick up from other threads on the subject, but the precision, repeatability and safety is excellent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have to say that ExtremeWoodworker (Steve) youtube channel has some really good videos about slider operation.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmE...hepnFlyXFkWwsQ

James

The K500 is kind of a hybrid, the innards of the Hammer saw trunnion and then the sliding table of the 700 series, or at least it was when introduced. They may have changed that recently, unfortunately I can't keep up with all the differences of every new model. The 700 series is a pretty robust machine, excellent sliding table system and can be optioned in many ways.

The outrigger does not have to stay on the machine, Felder even makes a cart for tilting it on and off. Some folks need the room in their work area and have to take it off when not in use. Personally, mine hasn't been off other than when moving the machine in the 17 years I've owned mine.

As for things you can and can't do, I'd say you can do everything a "normal" cabinet saw can do faster and with greater safety and accuracy on a slider. Yes, some jigs and accessories help a lot, and there is a learning curve to get folks to use the slider instead of the rip fence, but once you do learn, the quality, accuracy and speed of your work will increase dramatically.

If you have more questions, feel free to join the FOG (Felder Owner's Group) as James said and there are plenty of folks to give recommendations and answer questions. I'm sure someone local to you could be found too... and contact Felder themselves and I'm sure they could probably put you in contact with someone local to you. Felder is located in New Castle DE, not exactly right around the corner from you, but not too far....
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

When I got my KF700, I kept my Unisaw for dados. Turns out I preferred it for any narrow rips also. If your friend has the room, I suggest he keep the 66 for a while until he is sure he doesn't need it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Got rid of my Unisaw after getting a slider. Some years later I realized that a 'normal' table saw is useful for a lot of things. Like dadoes and ripping.
    I primarily use the standard table saw for joinery type cuts and ripping using a dedicated ripping blade. The slider gets used for the standard cross cuts using the stop on the fence for repeatability, and for getting a glue-ready edge on longer boards if something is piled in front of the jointer.
    You will find a lot of uses for the slider arrangement, including the rip fence for ripping like your 66.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Got rid of my Unisaw after getting a slider. Some years later I realized that a 'normal' table saw is useful for a lot of things. Like dadoes and ripping.
    After using a slider with riving knife, I cringe ripping without one.
    Maybe it has to do with this hole in my arm I got from kick-back on my PM66.

Agree Mike. I got a good kickback just above where it counts. Bought a Beisemeyer splitter right away. Not quite a riving knife, but haven't had any kickback in the dozen years since I got it. A newer saw with a riving knife is even better.

The riving knife with the cover attached was one of my favorite features of my KF700. I always kept it about one inch above the table, and rarely had to move the blade. I don't care for the covers that have to be made to rise when the work piece strikes them.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Sawstop, we use our Unisaw dedicated for dado cuts and our PM 74 for heavy lifting. Overall our employees vote for the Sawstop

You can rip way better, safer and quicker on a slider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqzVglze9Nk

And the American version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PyFjtSHrE
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening