Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources for files?

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    The Grobet USA taper files are junk, in my experience. I bought a full box of 5" 2XS a couple years ago, and 6 of the 12 were unusable. Won't make that mistake again. As far as taper files go, I think Bahco and Tome Feteira are probably the best on the market currently. Neither of them can touch a vintage USA Nicholson though.
    The Grobet USA files are def inconsistent, but at $2.50 each, I order double the quality and cull. Craftsman is happy to accept returns, but there's always a need for small triangular files in the shop, so they get used. I do very little of my own gunsmithing, but the fellow I have do my heavy lifting is happy to take what I won't use. The Geiswein 4" contoured wooden handles with brass ferrules are $1.10 each and handy for these little files...a little CA holds them until the file is toasted, then a little torch work breaks the bond for reuse of the handle and repurposing of the dull file.

TFWW carries a partial selection of Corradis, but does not carry the XXS; www.corradishop.com offers the 4" (as well as the other lengths) in XXS for 2.7 Euro each (and the 4-1/2" XXS for 3 Euro each), but the shipping charge is a flat 18 Euro (FEDEX three day shipping from EU to US...order on Thurs and receive it on Mon). Last order from them was their superb Corradi Gold rasps in 10" 10 grain and 6" 10 grain, which I prefer over the Auriou hand stitched rasps for the work we do shaping necks (if Corradi would narrow the cabinet rasp just a bit and taper a little more, it would totally replace my well-used Aurious 9" x 10 grain entirely) .

If predisposed to order a rasp or two (the 10" cabinet rasp in 10 grain and 6" half round in 10 grain is a nice combo) adding 10 each of the 4" and 4-1/2" XXS will bump the postage up by just 4 Euro over the 18 Euro FEDEX base charge.

Just a quick note. I have had very good luck with Grobet USA ( Made in Italy ) needle files. I rarely use 4xx these days. Bacho files do not appear to be very consistent either. So it may just be the lowered quality across the board. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Just a quick note. I have had very good luck with Grobet USA ( Made in Italy ) needle files. I rarely use 4xx these days. Bacho files do not appear to be very consistent either. So it may just be the lowered quality across the board. Best of luck.
    As I mentioned above, I'm 99.9% sure that those are made by Corradi. I have both and it's obvious that they're the same design, and the paucity of modern needle file manufacturers strongly suggests they're from the same factory. You may be able to save money by buying the version marked "Corradi" directly from their website. I provided the link in a previous post.

The only oddity with the Corradi needle files is that their taper extends slightly further back than in the Swiss-made quartet (Glardon, Grobet Swiss, Nicholson, Bahco).

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    TFWW carries a partial selection of Corradis, but does not carry the XXS; www.corradishop.com offers the 4" (as well as the other lengths) in XXS for 2.7 Euro each (and the 4-1/2" XXS for 3 Euro each), but the shipping charge is a flat 18 Euro (FEDEX three day shipping from EU to US...order on Thurs and receive it on Mon).
    Can you provide a link to the XXS files on corradishop? The narrowest I've been able to find are XS (the 4" are 2.7 Euros and the 4.5" are 3 Euros, so I wonder if that's what you're referring to)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    Last order from them was their superb Corradi Gold rasps in 10" 10 grain and 6" 10 grain, which I prefer over the Auriou hand stitched rasps for the work we do shaping necks (if Corradi would narrow the cabinet rasp just a bit and taper a little more, it would totally replace my well-used Aurious 9" x 10 grain entirely) .
    Yeah, I got a couple of their rasps with my last order. It's clear that CNC-randomized rasps are finally starting to approach hand-stitched. I still prefer my Liogiers, but the differences are no longer huge as they once were. I gave my "second string" Nicholson and Ajax rasps away when I got the Corradis.

What I'm really curious about are their hollow/round irons, 50-100 Euros for each hollow+round pair depending on size. Has anybody tried those? Corradi is extremely reputable as a file manufacturer, but not pedigreed in planemaking, so it will be interesting to see how they work out.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-02-2017 at 8:02 PM.

One last Corradi-related note. They seem to be having a fire sale on rifflers: http://www.corradishop.com/index.php...fd47d7d54a452d

For that price I don't see how you can go wrong. It will be interesting to compare them to my Liogier set. I don't expect them to be in the same league of course.

I haven't needed to buy saw files,but the Mexican Nicholson files seem to have gotten their problems with softness worked out. I bought an 8" Nicholson file months ago just to see if it was hardened,and it is just fine. If they got that fixed,I assume they also get their triangular ones fixed. If you buy a file at Home Depot,where they sell Nicholsons,you can return it if it is not good. The only catch is,I hope they have sold out of the early Mexican ones by now! Doesn't hurt to try one,rather than pay shipping.

I've been using Nicholson files (purchased from Pete at Vintage Saws), and have had nothing but excellent results.

I buy my files from Lee at The Best Things. He is very knowledgeable and a great resource.

I recently bought a box of NOS 1998 (Australian-made?) Nicholson 5" needle files, and have filed several saws from scratch as well as re-sharpened a few others. I am impressed - they are head-and-shoulders better than the 4" XS Grobet I purchased from LN a few years ago. Of course, these are no longer available. I was also given a Liogier 4" needle file about a year ago, which was also excellent, but I cannot find these on their website. Any line on Liogier?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I should have checked the link again - def just XS! The Corradi Gold 10 grain is a little slower cutting than the Aurious (although they are wider, so it may be a toss-up), but smoother scratch pattern and none of the handedness exhibited by the Aurious on the bass and treble sides of the neck.

Corradi is selling through Ebay as well, and some of the package deals might be advantageous on cost or shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I was also given a Liogier 4" needle file about a year ago, which was also excellent, but I cannot find these on their website. Any line on Liogier?
    Liogier's milled files appear to be "non-catalog" items: http://www.liogier-france.fr/milled-teeth-files?lang=en. You'd probably have to contact Noel Liogier directly to enquire about that.

IMO the current crop of needle files from both sources (Swiss = Glardon-Vallorbe factory, Italian = Corradi factory) are quite good. Where people seem to be having problems are with taper files (i.e. 5" 2X Slim and similar). Bahco is my current favorite, though their arrises/corners aren't as sharp as I'd like and I have some Corradis coming to try out as an alternative.

Nicholson's needle files (as opposed to their taper files) have been made by Glardon-Vallorbe in Switzerland for some time BTW.

Patrick - Please do update the thread with your assessment of the Corradi taper files when you get a chance to use them. I'm also not a fan of the wider-than-necessary corner flats on Bahco taper files, but they are at least straight and tempered well.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Patrick - Please do update the thread with your assessment of the Corradi taper files when you get a chance to use them. I'm also not a fan of the wider-than-necessary corner flats on Bahco taper files, but they are at least straight and tempered well.
    I bought a half-dozen Corradi 4XS files. They are all reasonably straight, with very slight detectable bend on one or two, but more importantly they are all free of twist. Twist has been an issue with Grobet USA files in particular, and is particularly problematic when you use any sort of tip-mounted angle guide. The arrises (corner flats) are consistently narrow and well-toothed (under-toothed arrises have also been a problem for Grobet USA).

Compared to Bahco 5" 2XS files, which have the same face width, the width of the arrises is more tightly controlled and has a lower maximum. Some corners on my Bahcos are very narrow while others are pretty blunt. The Corradis are more consistent and towards the lower end of the distribution.

I've only sharpened one saw with a Corradi, but from that limited experience it seems to be properly hardened and tempered with good tooth life. I'd say for the price (2.7 Euros) you can't really go wrong, provided you buy enough to amortize the shipping cost.

On a related note, Corradi also makes a pretty nice augur bit file. It's the same one TFWW sells (branded "Iridium").
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-14-2017 at 3:02 PM.