Thread: New Guy/Rookie Turner - Makeshift Mini-lathe Station

Smile New Guy/Rookie Turner - Makeshift Mini-lathe Station

I bought a mini lathe 2 months ago because I thought it might be fun. I'm still very early in the learning curve, so my bowls and birdhouses won't turn many heads around here. Some of you guys are artists way beyond woodworkers, and I think I'm enjoying turning enough to stick with it, whether or not I have the imagination to pull off some of the fantastic things I see here.

Anyway, I have limited space available and needed a small mobile apparatus I could roll easily roll out of the way, so an $89 tool chest bottom from Lowe's and some scrap wood later I threw this together

lathestation.JPGsandingdrawer.JPG

It's not fancy or precise, but it works like a charm for me.

Nick, welcome to the site,you have a nice set-up there.
    Len

Looks like you are getting organized and getting some tools to go with the lathe. I don't see how you have the lathe fastened down to the base, but that should be a priority if you are turning any out of balance material. Lathes tend to walk with unbalanced material spinning, even some big lathes, and minis are very bad. You can do a lot with your setup.

Thanks, Len.

Thanks, Thomas. I've been considering a couple of options to anchor it, hopefully I'll get it done this weekend.

The two biggest problems for me so far have been keeping track of sandpaper grits and sharpening tools in general. I've solved the former, and am really working on the latter by practicing on old screwdrivers and cheap chisels, and of course watching a lot of Youtube videos. Any advice is much appreciated.

Wow! You are WAY more organized than I am. Nice setup.
    You use the Random Orbit discs to sand? I use regular paper. Cut that into fourths, the length of the paper, cut that in half the short way, giving you a nice small piece of paper. Fold that into thirds to sand. Cheaper than using the RO discs.
    You need a jig for sharpening. Most popular being the Wolverine and a grinder.
    Welcome!

Very nice set-up Nick, well organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Schepis View Post
    Thanks, Thomas. I've been considering a couple of options to anchor it, hopefully I'll get it done this weekend.

The two biggest problems for me so far have been keeping track of sandpaper grits and sharpening tools in general. I've solved the former, and am really working on the latter by practicing on old screwdrivers and cheap chisels, and of course watching a lot of Youtube videos. Any advice is much appreciated.
    You can mount a lathe this size on a length of board and then bolt or clamp the board to something - it could be moved easily later if needed. I've fastened things to the top of tool cabinet by drilling holes and using bolts through the top. If you use the cabinet, at least for a while, you might consider blocking it up so it won't move around. Also, if you don't know, the recommended height of the spindle of the lathe should be about at your elbow - blocking might be a good way to adjust that if needed.

If you tell about how you are sharpening now you might get some good advise. Most people are using a Oneway Wolverine sharpening system on a bench grinder with a Vari-Grind jig for spindle and bowl gouges. If you want, you can build something with similar functionality from wood for almost nothing. If interested in that, ask - we have written a document with plans.

JKJ

Looks good from here. Lots of great advice above. My advice-Have Fun!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!