Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is posting videos on youtube showing second-rate skills or results fine with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +2. What say Patrick? Maybe a demo of how to set up a #55?
    Maybe. See my comment above about how we avoid posting weak content though :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    There's one guy whose always wearing a nice shirt and working on the floor, watch out for him.
    I hear that guy hires "session woodworkers" to do all the hard moves in his videos. It's "Milli Vanilli but with chisels" :-):-):-)
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-02-2017 at 8:22 PM.

Maybe it is a good thing I don't plan on doing a video.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Maybe it is a good thing I don't plan on doing a video.....
    Too bad Steven, they are kind of fun to do.

Maybe if a bit of spare time comes my way a video on stopped rabbets will be made. Cheap camera, check… poor lighting, check… don't forget to turn the music down when the camera is on.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I hear that guy hires "session woodworkers" to do all the hard moves in his videos. It's "Milli Vanilli but with chisels" :-):-):-)
    Hah! That would make for a very entertaining video!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Maybe. See my comment above about how we avoid posting weak content though :-).
    I'm sure your content will be stellar Patrick. Perhaps a shop tour. 1st episode - sharpening. Review all your various setups and walk us through the ins and outs of diamond paste with an example chisel tuning. Can't wait to see it!

It doesn't bother me personally. Kudos to them for doing their best. If I don't like someone I just I just avoid watching their videos of people and don't divert the internet traffic their way.

What really bothers me is when they post videos of them building someone else's design without crediting the original maker. For example, a woodworker whose videos show up a lot on searches (but whose skills appear very amateurish) posted a long video on how to make winding sticks. The problem is, the design he chose for his sticks were EXACTLY like Paul Sellers, who released a very detailed video of himself making the winding sticks. The new poster basically did exactly what Paul did, in even less detail, but didn't credit Paul at all and shared his video on various platforms like it was his own conception. Enough of my rant.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.

I work too slow for videos, I don't talk loud enough, nor fast enough. Don't have the camera stuff needed. Nor the room.

I doubt IF most would want to see me working......might be a tad too boring? It would get to the point where I would be working FOR the camera, and not towards the work.

IF I ever get dumb enough to try a video....I would want it to be the best work I could do....I would rather just sit at my bench, and relax.....and maybe cobble a few things up.

Besides...I don't own a Plaid shirt....

Blog Entries
    My videos stand as proof that you can also wear blue oxfords for woodworking videos.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    My videos stand as proof that you can also wear blue oxfords for woodworking videos.
    You need a synergistic personal brand to tie all of this together. Something like "the renaissance financier" (I have no idea what you do/did as a day job, but you're overdressed and from NYC and I'm intellectually lazy, so let's go with the obvious stereotype :-)
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-03-2017 at 2:27 PM.

Nope, videos with poor results do not bother me at all.

Besides, what are you going to do? Commission a YouTube WoodWorking Police Panel?

There are some here that would self-appoint themselves as such.....

Certainly not.....

The damage will be done to beginners who don't realize they are being shown c**p.

David Charlesworth

What if you picked up a book and didn't like the author's writing style, content or grammar? Would it bother you?

Or would you just put the book down, and move on to other authors you prefer? I'm sure the answer is the latter, and I don't quite see why YouTube is any different.

I've picked up a surprising amount of useful techniques and information from YouTube videos. Sometimes just inspiration. It's cost me nothing but my time so I have no business complaining.

We live in a fantastic age compared to ..... not that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    Certainly not.....

The damage will be done to beginners who don't realize they are being shown c**p.

David Charlesworth
    Indeed, but perhaps the presence of some degree of poor information or even misinformation is an unavoidable by-product of an age where a breathtaking amount of good info is available for free.

Anyone, anywhere (with an internet connection) can teach themselves almost anything. Even the Ruler Trick (which is absolutely mustard when executed properly IMO)