Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is posting videos on youtube showing second-rate skills or results fine with you?

Is posting videos on youtube showing second-rate skills or results fine with you?

I have come across quite a number of "tutorial" videos on youtube with good intentions, trying to share hand tool techniques with everyone, that are in my opinion below the fine woodworking quality. The most common examples are those showing the finished joints with tiny or unsightly gaps, including one coming from a well-known, very skilled woodworker and another from what was usually paid online content (the latter shot professionally). Both, I believe, could produce a perfect joinery if they had taken the time to retry and reshoot.

Does sharing a technique video (free of charge) with sloppy results bother you?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I have come across quite a number of "tutorial" videos on youtube with good intentions, trying to share hand tool techniques with everyone, that are in my opinion below the fine woodworking quality. The most common examples are those showing the finished joints with tiny or unsightly gaps, including one coming from a well-known, very skilled woodworker and another from what was usually paid online content (the latter shot professionally). Both, I believe, could produce a perfect joinery if they had taken the time to retry and reshoot.

Simon
    My employer would not want me discussing my opinions of what gets posted to YouTube specifically, but in general... https://xkcd.com/386/

I wouldnt share sloppy results - I'd be embarrassed. But I increasingly see people posting "weak" woodworking content on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I wouldnt share sloppy results - I'd be embarrassed. But I increasingly see people posting "weak" woodworking content on the web.
    I think that one key challenge is that to avoid posting weak content you actually have to realize that your content is weak.

It bothers me to the extent that if I find them lacking I go to another one. But I confess to starting with the short ones. It also bothers me that those seeking help here often seem to go with majority opinion. But ,on the other hand, some of the real experts here insist on rattling on for a whole paragraph before giving us the magic SECRET that makes it quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    But ,on the other hand, some of the real experts here insist on rattling on for a whole paragraph before giving us the magic SECRET that makes it quick and easy.
    Or they don't tell you the secret at all :-)

A classic example from a number of years back: "You need to learn how to use a double iron".

of course not. If I don't like what I'm seeing I just click awya and its forgotten. On the other hand, I appreciate that there is lots of content to choose from. I might even watch (a bit) if Patrick posted something

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    of course not. If I don't like what I'm seeing I just click awya and its forgotten. On the other hand, I appreciate that there is lots of content to choose from. I might even watch (a bit) if Patrick posted something
    You beat me at it !!!

Like Pat, I just move on, life’s too short. We are bothered entirely too easily today.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Simon,

At one time, it bothered me a lot. When I first started serious woodworking I tried to learn from the web (mainly woodworking forums). I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I was very naive about the wide variety of motivations people have for posting things on the internet and about some people's willingness to pontificate about matters of which they knew little. I was taken aback by the petty squabbles about pins vs tails, the best adhesives, finishes, tool badges, dust collectors, sharpening methods, etc. So, yes. I was also naive about woodworking TV. It really bothered me that I couldn't get the results that the guy in the plaid shirt was getting.

Things got better when I realized that learning how to winnow the wheat from the chaff was actually an important part of learning this craft. My reliance on the internet went way down and my use of professionally produced material went up. There actually is a factual basis for a lot of what we do. Eventually I was able to start acting on intelligence (knowledge) as guided by experience. And I learned who the BS artists are. Fame is not much of a credential.

Doug

Blog Entries
    If it is possible to learn from one's own mistakes should it not also be possible to learn from the mistakes of others?

My videos are as low budget and likely mistake prone as any. Though I have received unpleasant comments from an occasional viewer, others send messages saying they have learned or enjoyed something.

Besides, some of it is amusing.

Here is one of my videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLzrpsdcK0

It was made using planes rehabbed as part of this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hab-Enthusiast

Hopefully some who read the thread and watched the video saw that if some old fart can do it, they should be able to get results.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Are the videos labeled how to make the perfectly fitting X & Y joint?

If they executed the joint and you understand the idea behind how, I don't see why a person should be bothered. It's up to the individual to then execute to the best of their abilities.

For me a lot of things are new and I take what I can get for free (beggars can't be choosers) I understand humans are not perfect and I think a slight gap just shows the human side of things.

I showed someone at work the other day how to do something, during the training I made a slight mistake, but at the end of the day my Co worker understood the process and was able to compelete the task at hand.

My point is (at least in my world) a lot of training is done in haste and things don't always go perfectly, but if the recipient understands the basics thoroughly then you've accomplished your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post

Simon
    I have been watching the The Woodwright's Shop since 1979
    the technique is more important than his sloppy results
    while his work may be rushed to compete a project in 27 minutes
    the work process is valuable because, it demonstrate the steps of how and why it is done
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I think that one key challenge is that to avoid posting weak content you actually have to realize that your content is weak.
    Oh yeah, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    +2. What say Patrick? Maybe a demo of how to set up a #55?