Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is posting videos on youtube showing second-rate skills or results fine with you?

In some cases, mistakes are just part of the work and even professionals make imperfect joints. In other cases it is rushed and part of the character of the show (Roy). In most cases though, I believe they are only taking the care needed to prove the method and intentionally aren't shooting for perfection because videos of this nature are targeting beginners. Beginners usually want realistic, achievable standards and probably don't want to be discouraged by seeing perfection at every turn.

If you are watching more advanced stuff or professional project-level demonstrations of commissioned or paid work, you will see a long series of videos where a lot more care and explanation of how to avoid problems occurs.

Now, if you paid for the video and the production quality and narrative is poor, I could see a complaint. Otherwise click on by.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 09-02-2017 at 8:02 AM.

I enjoyed your videos Jim. But that doesn't really surprise me - I usually learn from your posts here. Thank you!
    Fred

I doesn't bother me at all as long as they talk. Ten minute demonstrations/builds without uttering a word drive me nutty.

The thing that really drives me nuts is watch someone demonstrate something that is blatantly unsafe. Although this usually happens with tailed screamers, I've even seen some chisel techniques make me shudder. I hate to think that someone completely new to WW would try that with disastrous results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If it is possible to learn from one's own mistakes should it not also be possible to learn from the mistakes of others?
    Agree, if only viewer can recognize the mistakes. When I started I could not and felt into many traps, like many others, it seems... until I came across videos of Paul Sellers and The English Woodworker and alike. It was professional stupidity on my side, naive me indeed...

So, watch all excellent videos first, before watching just good ones or worse!

Blog Entries
    There is one guy in particular who appears to have a following and he builds stuff with dovetails going the wrong way, and a complete lack of balance in the design. It makes my skin crawl... then I get over it... mostly.

Blog Entries
    There's one guy whose always wearing a nice shirt and working on the floor, watch out for him.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    There's one guy whose always wearing a nice shirt and working on the floor, watch out for him.
    If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, I usually just go right past to the next one.

Do you mean sloppy joints on a triangular,small table that he ALREADY made? When you can see how bad joints are on TV,they are indeed bad!

No one expects anyone to make a whole project in less than 30 minutes. The videos I laugh at the most are when Roy and friend jam and buckle saws,and slam their ends into the brick floor while showing VERY unsuitable sawing positions. Oh yes,and the sloppiest clenching of nails I've ever seen. Tired little noodles of steel! THAT really,there is no excuse for. You don't see that sort of things when my former journeymen come on to demonstrate veneering,etc. Or,how to saw 1/16" veneer with a hand saw. Marcus is always right on the line.

Very interesting and varied perspectives from all of you.

As many of you do, I quickly change channel or video when I dislike anything I see there. But I cringe when I come across videos like these:

• A guy showing how to cut a tail marked the tail on a cross grain board. The worse were a few comments (obviously they had never cut a dovetail) showering praises on his video. Luckily, a few others pointed out what went wrong there.
    • Someone was paid (by a publication) to do a tutorial video (presumably in a studio) and the result was a gappy joint. Frankly, how many of us, newbies or not, needed to pay to learn how to cut a gappy joint? The paid content was released for free viewing on YouTube. The whole episode needed not be reshot, but a new joint should be cut and presented. If you, as the master or teacher, couldn’t deliver a “perfect” result based on what you just showed, why would I, a viewer, think I could do better than you?
    • It is fine to make a mistake and show the viewers how to fix it. Norm Abram did that, Paul Sellers does it and Rob Cosman, too, live. But one better known woodworker (who became ”famous” by posting lots of videos) completed a joint with a gap and then showed the technique of fixing it by using a mix of glue and sawdust. This kind of fix will only fool a non-woodworker.

Edit - I have also seen articles that show the completion of one perfect joint, but not the whole assembly. It is not difficult to cut just one perfect mitre joint or one secret mitre dovetail but the acid test is when you put the four mitres together. An article about installing inset doors without showing the door installed in a carcase with even reveals is not a good enough article for me, regardless of how well the photographs present the technique. When it is my money (I am the boss), I prefer the walk the talk to the talk the talk.

Simon

Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-02-2017 at 2:08 PM.

I do post utube videos. The videos are made with the best of my ability and I do actually make sure that the audience learns something. Some will nit pick on your content but it really depends on intention of the video. To educate or to make money? Depends on the author.

Even for welding videos I do notice that some of the welds aren't great but they are out of focus on the most part.

12. Buddha said "even the student can each the master" not everyone is a master at woodworking and most woodworkers are not masters at media, presentation or public speaking hence the wide variations. You aren't paying for so why worry. You might even learn something. Personally I appreciate the simple fact that someone put themselves out there to be attacked and ridiculed by self style masters. I applaude them.

It does not bother me at all. I think, how generous that he or she is sharing. It is probably educational to someone with less skill than you.

I don't like when people post unsafe practices or when people criticize others' right to share.

Instead of criticizing, post something better. Let the market decide.

Agree with Prashun. And even some of the untalented have good flourishes. Anyone who works in view of the public needs to develop good flourishes ,it's part of good salesmanship. Who among us ,while in a diner, has not thought " these pancakes don't taste all that good ,but that guy sure can flip pancakes!"?

When I was a kid I worked on a framing crew, and the joke was that all it takes to be a carpenter is a pickup truck and a ladder rack. Apparently, all it takes to be a woodworker is a dovetail saw and YouTube channel
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---