Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is posting videos on youtube showing second-rate skills or results fine with you?

This thread is making me remember some of the craft and cooking segments on early TV. You heard the host keep saying the make a highboy segment was "coming up". Finally they would roll out a cart with grocery store orange crates ,saw,hammer,nails ,can of varnish ,brush, and "of course you'll need pen and paper to write your wonderful wife a note" .
    From the other stage side more beautiful girls would be rolling out ...a completed high boy! SEE YOU TOMORROW !!

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    Certainly not.....

The damage will be done to beginners who don't realize they are being shown c**p.

David Charlesworth
    Not just to beginners, I am afraid, David.

Some people may even find this useful or helpful...it is free anyway:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Hand-Cut-Dovetails-for-Dummies/

"Buyer beware" does not apply to goodies free of charge.

Edit: At least the author did not use sawdust and glue to cover his track! Bonus point for that.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-03-2017 at 5:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post

Edit: At least the author did not use sawdust and glue to cover his track! Bonus point for that.

Simon
    Thanks for posting the instructables link!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    You need a synergistic personal brand to tie all of this together. Something like "the renaissance financier" (I have no idea what you do/did as a day job, but you're overdressed and from NYC and I'm intellectually lazy, so let's go with the obvious stereotype :-)
    I'm fairly certain that it is my personal brand at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post

Simon
    Second Paragraph:

"When using dovetails for a joint that requires strength, end grain must be used. Side grain was used in this instructable because it was for demonstration purposes only. The same steps and techniques will work with end grain dovetail joints." - Tomatoskins on Instructables.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    "When using dovetails for a joint that requires strength, end grain must be used. Side grain was used in this instructable because it was for demonstration purposes only. The same steps and techniques will work with end grain dovetail joints." - Tomatoskins on Instructables.
    Wow, you actually read that? I commend your intestinal fortitude.

I cannot understand why anybody would choose to cut DTs into long grain for any purpose? Perhaps this individual is not familiar with the concept of a "rip cut"?

Perhaps they did it for the lulz.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-03-2017 at 9:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Wow, you actually read that? I commend your intestinal fortitude.

I cannot understand why anybody would choose to cut DTs into long grain for any purpose? Perhaps this individual is not familiar with the concept of a "rip cut"?

Perhaps they did it for the lulz.
    OMG. It's not necessary to rip everyone! Just let it go and go back to the sharpening thread and rip Brent Beach some more.

Depends on the size...
    details.jpg
    Everything is relative, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Thanks for posting the instructables link!
    The comments made in that link WERE the icing on the cake, like "... indeed a great example of good craftsmanship," "First rate!"

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I'm fairly certain that it is my personal brand at this point!

Second Paragraph:

The second paragraph was not in the original instructions and it was added AFTER someone pointed out what was wrong with his presentation.

Another bonus point for not leaving his stuff as was. (Had he recut a new joint in the proper grain orientation, while showing the "pins" first technique and put it next to the "demo" piece, he would have received my full kudos!)

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-04-2017 at 11:32 AM.

If the video does not address the topic right away but goes off on a tangent I just leave. If they dally, I leave. Actually I have lots of reasons to leave so I do not see too much rubbish. Sometimes it's so bad it's funny and I stay just to see how bad it gets, then I tell them how bad it is.
    One thing you learn from the videos; there are some very good books out there and most of the video people are not readers.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Sometimes it's so bad it's funny and I stay just to see how bad it gets,
    Someone sure can find a hand tool version of something like the quality of this advice (jump to 1:05):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGfW...ature=youtu.be

Still, since it is FREE, you can't complain much, can you?

Perhaps, YouTube should consider allowing viewers to "cancel" their views so theirs don't count towards the number of hits which some "producers" depend on as a source of income.

Someone should do a video showing us how to cut a dovetail holding the tail or pin board in the air with one hand (no clamps) and ... with a hacksaw blade (seriously, before you laugh, that was seen used in a now defunct magazine article!).

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-04-2017 at 2:31 PM.

I suspect anyone who posts their work on YouTube thinks what they did is pretty terrific. I find it true in-person also. There is another side to the coin also, and that is the person who immediately points out all the mistakes and flaws in otherwise acceptable work. The problem with YT is that the bad stuff shows up just as long as the good and there is no filter to change that situation. I'm not familiar with any of the videos that show pros screwing up. Those would be worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I suspect anyone who posts their work on YouTube thinks what they did is pretty terrific. I find it true in-person also.
    Agreed. I also suspect, as David rightly pointed out about c**p, some viewers think what they saw (as long as they were free) is pretty terrific too.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-04-2017 at 2:09 PM.

How about turning this ripfest positive?
    If you head over to the main/General forum, there is a sticky thread where members are invited to post links to their favorite WW videos, most of which are hosted on YouTube. I think even the most expert critics amongst us will find some inspirational work, worthy of accolades. Add to the thread with some links to videos you've found to be excellent.
    Or better yet, produce one of your own. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I'm not familiar with any of the videos that show pros screwing up. Those would be worth a watch.
    I've seen some. I can't remember where, but I've definitely seen them. Those are extremely useful because they typically then show how they work their way around the mistake, which can have more practical value to viewers than does a perfectly executed work. One recent non-video example that springs to mind was Derek's errant mortise (IIRC) in his table build.