Thread: wide belt sanders,hours ?

wide belt sanders,hours ?

Looking for some help here .What is the approximate life span of a widebelt sander when it is maintained and used regularly ? I have found a small widebelt with 140 hours on it. Is that almost new and worth a look ? Thanks for any suggestions, Mike.

That's almost new. As in, that's not enough time to shake out the issues. (Ungreased bearings, improperly torqued fasteners, etc) from when it left the factory.

I'd walk away if it were 10,000 hours, it's most likely done. That's five years of 40 hour weeks. Few machines are ordered for that kind of duty cycle.

Thanks Martin. This machine is a 24'' cantek with a 10 h.p. three phase main motor. The guy that has it is asking $2000 for it. I have been watching /looking for a sander for a while. The only thing else I have seen are General international drum sanders 24'' and most guys want 1500 or more for them.

Cantek stuff is pretty decent and if in good shape, 2k is a steal. The 24" are rare and 3-4K for a drum and platen head is normal. Check conveyor for dry rot and the drum for gouges. Platen can be recovered for about 150 if needed. Otherwise you are good to go and 140 hrs are nothing. Dave

That sounds almost new. We recently purchased a Vega new. It seems very well built but basic. Not in a bad way. It's s simple machine that is not over done if that makes sense.

For a farm tractor 2000 hours is light use, 4000 is thinking about replacing water pumps, alternator etc. 10,000-20,000 is worn out. Of course engine wears faster then a nice clean electric motor unit out of the rain and dirt.
    In a car 100,000 miles at 60 MPH is 1666 hours. I would expect a car to last 120,000 before needing major repairs. 180,000 or more before engine rebuild.
    Bill

That sounds like a great deal .. Thousands of hours of life left on that 24" Sander ..

I have a friend with a Cantek 24" single head, he's a one man pro shop.. makes his living.. Its been completely reliable .. always starts, always works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Looking for some help here .What is the approximate life span of a widebelt sander when it is maintained and used regularly ? I have found a small widebelt with 140 hours on it. Is that almost new and worth a look ? Thanks for any suggestions, Mike.
    As long as you understand it's used.. Low hours doesn't mean there wasn't a major issue...