I am looking to make a quantity of Salt n Pepper grinders
    please discuss:

1. Crush Grind Mechanism Types
    2. Crush Grind Mechanism Sources
    3. Crush Grind Mechanism Experiences

Thanks
    Carpe Lignum

195 views and no comments!
    well I guess none of you will be getting a salt and pepper set from me for Christmas
    Carpe Lignum

Haven't used any yet. But, watching the thread to learn about them too.

Ricc

I have only used the turners select deluxe from craft supplies. They are working good so far first one i made 2 years ago is still going strong. I use it almost every day.

Most of them seem to be made by the same company and share the same extortionist pricing.

1. I am only aware of two types of Crush Grind mechanisms, the shaft type and the non-shaft type. I have only used the shaft type. I have a couple of non-shaft mechanisms, but haven't tried them yet. I've had them several years, but waiting for my "round-tu-it" to come in.
    2. Craft Supply Packard Woodworks, Chefware kits, and a host of others. A quick web search will bring up a long list of vendors. I usually buy from wherever I find the best price. I have seen and bought two different shaft type mechanisms the difference being the knob on the bottom. One has a hole through the grind adjusting knob and on the other the hole doesn't go through. I prefer the one that doesn't have the through hole--just think it looks better, but the truth is they both work the same. I have not figured out why the two different types of adjusting knobs.
    3. I like them and have made quite a few of them. They are more forgiving on the length of the mill since you can cut off the shaft to fit the mill body. Just be careful to not cut them too short since I have found out that if cut too short, the shaft can turn inside the insert that fits in the top and cause it to slip instead of grind. This is the only problem I have had and I would attribute it to cutting the shaft too short.
    I have the tool to cut the grooves for the mechanism to snap into the body and the top, but generally just epoxy the parts in and have never had a problem with any of them. I have a set of salt and pepper mills I made for myself 6 or more years ago and it was epoxied in and is still going strong.
    I usually drill mine like the instructions that come with the mills from Craft Supply which you can download from their site. I also recently bought the Woodcut Mill Drill which will drill the two larger holes in the bottom of the mill. I purchased it from Packard Woodworks, but I have made a lot of mills just using Forstner bits to drill the holes. I do like the Colt Maxicut bits to drill the holes. I drill the small hole through the body from both ends to keep the hole centered on the ends. I also blow compressed air in the hole as I'm drilling to clear the chips better, but still withdraw the bit a couple of times. The bit will get hot and the compressed air also helps cool the bit some.
    Hope this helps. Now buy a mechanism and get to turning :-)
    Last edited by Bob Vavricka; 09-04-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Most of them seem to be made by the same company and share the same extortionist pricing.
    I have been tempted to buy store bought ones and harvest the mechanisms to use in my own
    Carpe Lignum

CrushGrind is a name brand, so I would guess if it is a genuine CrushGrind mechanism it is made by the same company. I don't find their prices exorbitant I do see they vary quite a bit from vendor to vendor. I just bought a 5 pack for $50 from a vendor at SWAT.

You can buy ceramic grinders directly from Xiamen Rizheng Industry dirt cheap but you need to place a huge order to make it worth while. They ship from china so shipping isn't cheap. I made an account you dont need to give much info I made up a business name to check out the pricing. I figured a $400 order made the shipping cheap enough that it broke down to a buck or 2 per item for shipping. They sell alot of pen kits and other small items that need handles and stuff turned for them. Right now i cant pull the $400 trigger but might in the future.

Crush Grind grinders are made in Denmark and sold worldwide, and as usual the Chinese will sell knockoffs, with no guaranty of any quality on them.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Crush Grind grinders are made in Denmark and sold worldwide,.
    So I was asking for differences on one brand
    LOL
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    I am looking to make a quantity of Salt n Pepper grinders
    please discuss:

1. Crush Grind Mechanism Types
    2. Crush Grind Mechanism Sources
    3. Crush Grind Mechanism Experiences

Thanks
    I've used both types and bought them from WoodCraft and somewhere online for about the same price. They are outstanding. That's the only mechanism I'll use since trying it the first time.

JKJ

I have only used the shaft mechanism crush grind and best price I have found is Craft Supplies.

PSI sells one similar and much cheaper but I believe it is a china knock off and you can tell in quality. I bought a couple but don't think I could sell them as I don't trust them.

I really like the crush grind as you can use for pepper, salt, and spices. I like to cut a recess in top and bottom for parts to snap into. I had trouble when cutting off tabs and using epoxy like some suggest (I sanded and wiped with DNA before epoxy) I have never had one fail with recess. When making the top I find it useful to make a tenon to fit into recess on the body or you will have some slop when using. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Wells View Post
    I like to cut a recess in top and bottom for parts to snap into. I had trouble when cutting off tabs and using epoxy like some suggest (I sanded and wiped with DNA before epoxy) I have never had one fail with recess.
    I'm paranoid - I cut a recess AND use epoxy. I ground a little scraper to cut the recess easily. We've been using a set daily for maybe 12 years made from cocobolo and dogwood (I wanted an easy way to tell the salt from the pepper). On my kits the piece that holds the top knob to the shaft by friction forms the tenon, smooth operation with no slop.

JKJ

I use the Chef Specialties mechanisms. It is the one that Eugen Schlaak uses or used to use now that he has retired. Never had any problems with them.