Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help defining laser cutter requirements

Need help defining laser cutter requirements

Hi!
    I’m hoping to buy a laser cutter soon, and am hoping to get input on what exactly my requirements are. There are lots of smart people here, I’d love to pick your brains for expertise!

To start with: I’m running low budget, I’ll almost certainly end up buying second hand, possibly home made. $500.00 range is affordable. So I’m not looking at new systems. For a lot of reasons, I prefer an open gantry, no box, they just get in the way of what I want to do, and I’d end up hacking it to remove the box.

What I need to be able to do is cut thin wood (masonite or similar wood, 1/8 inch thick is, I think, normal?) as well as fabric, paper and maybe vinyl.

Questions:
    What is the lowest power laser that will do what I want? What would be way more than I need? If I knew the correct range, I’d have an easier time ruling things out.

Are there any brands/models that I should look at more or avoid when trying to buy second hand?

Are there software requirements for most systems? I am REALLY good with PhotoShop, and own the whole Adobe Creative Suite of programs, can easily learn any graphics or CAD program, but don’t own any others right now. Is this something I need to watch for?

Anything else I need to be aware of that I may be missing?

Are there any sites that I should check?

Know anyone who wants to sell something like this?

About me, if it matters: good graphics skills, good hand skills, have been doing craft/artwork for many years, good with tools, better with hardware than software issues, thing that fix with a wrench make sense to me. I have in mind a couple of major projects for myself, that could easily spin off into a business, if I did that, first money in would be used to buy a better laser, I suspect. The major projects for myself are part of building a house, part of the decorative style (I really don’t know words for what I want to do, haven’t seen it done anyplace. “Lattice type doors” is the closest words I have, but that’s not very close. “Laminated fretwork” might be close too, but again, not very.) I am pretty capable of working with weird systems, I run moody old cars and tools, and am used to working with machines that have personality quirks. “To make it start you have to do this, then that, and then turn the key back a half turn” is pretty common in my life. A nice shiny turnkey system in a box is not only not affordable, it’s probably not what I would get along with best. If I had time/energy etc (I don’t, I’m building a house and doing all the work I can myself, including some interesting custom cabinetry and built-ins through it all) I’d build my own system. Second choice is to figure out what will do what I want, and buy it used.

Any advice/suggestions anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!!
    Pearl

So many of your questions have been asked and answered previously. You can use the search function to find the answers. Other than the infamous K40 machines from eBay (and now Amazon), there is almost nothing in the $500 range (new or used). The machines at that price are not going to be easy to use or last long. The laser tubes themselves often cost that much by themselves. There is good reason that even a basic self-imported Chinese machine will run you several thousand dollars.

The beam can be very dangerous so open gantry means you must wear goggles or risk losing your vision, risk burns, or damage things. Lower power means cutting only thinner things and/or doing it more slowly. At your price point you will only be looking at poorly made Chinese machines with glass tubes. Those machines use Chinese software that is more than a bit clunky to use. Most people use CorelDraw to create the images and then import the vectors and bitmaps into the Chinese program (specific to the brand of controller).

I would suggest you try out a laser in a maker space and get some experience before wasting even $500.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

What John said. Your not going to find anything with your specs for 500 ebay k40's are closed box and very small cut area.you really need to research more. As for wattage 40watt would be your minimum to cut 1/8
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    And fergit vinyl in any volume unless your machine is disposable. Do what others have said and READ much here and elsewhere. You can get a lot of info if you spend a few hours reading. (or even days.)
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

For what the OP is asking, 60 watts is just about necessary...

$500 will barely pay for a 60 watt tube with shipping. Then there's 2 or 3 stepper motors, belts, belt cogs, drive rods, aluminum extrusions and various other framework, guide rails, mirrors and mounts, lens mount, lens, power supply, laser controller, stepper motor controllers, drag chains, air hose, table, lead screws, various brackets, screws, nuts, bolts and other hardware and labor to assemble it into a working machine... which will roughly quintuple the first $500...

or, $500 can get you an EZ-Bake oven that thinks it's a laser engraver...

IF future plans include getting a better laser, the best course of action is to buy it first and save the $500...

My Triumph, affectionately known as 'the dumpster', is huge- it eats up 4 cubic yards of space (which is the size of most apartment dumpsters )-- it's a 1390 machine, with a work area of 51" x 31", and with the open back, 51" by any length (barring walls in the way) is possible. It has an 80 watt RECI tube, and non-moveable table. It came with an exhaust blower and air pump. I got it in November 2013 and the to-my-door price all in was less than 5 large. Without trying hard, the machine paid for itself in 3 months.

Consider this:
    --On an average day, these machines will generate $100 per hour easy--
    --$5000 borrowed for 2 years at 7% will cost $224 a month--
    --If you can find just 3 hours of 'market rate' work for the machine every month, it will make the payments. After that is gravy.

Buying used is fine, as long as you don't buy a used $500 machine... Just get a decent machine
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev

You're sounding like a sales rep. The machine won't generate 20 cents an hour without a customer base. It's not a "build it and they will come" situation.

I'm with the others--do more research and save your money until you can afford a machine with some reasonable expectation of reliability.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Ten minutes with the Search function here will give you hours of reading. I love the talented folks who buy a K40 machine off eBay for $300 and then spend $100's more and hours to make it work. When they could be selling and making money they are working on the machine.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-04-2017 at 8:36 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Kev

You're sounding like a sales rep. The machine won't generate 20 cents an hour without a customer base. It's not a "build it and they will come" situation.

I'm with the others--do more research and save your money until you can afford a machine with some reasonable expectation of reliability.
    need a laser, need a customer base--It's a catch-22 not much different than: I need a car so I can get a job, but I need a job so I can get a car...

My point: you can't build a customer base with a laser that won't do the job, same as a $500 car won't get you to work if it's being towed.

Otherwise, yes- get a useable, reliable machine.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Kev

It's not a "build it and they will come" situation.
    It can be if you have the right product to sell and don't rely on being a job shop. I bought a laser so I could make marble machine kits. To my knowledge no one had ever offered a product like that before. I just assumed that since I found it cool others would as well. I've sold thousands of kits now.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

I personally know of quite a number of guys who had "can't miss" ideas who had to sell their machines or had them repo'd. You're one of the lucky ones.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I kept my investment low - I had to as I had just lost my job and had little savings. Bought a LS3040 with a 60W tube and worked out of a shipping container in a muddy field by a farm.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Save up a little more and research alot more. $500 is just not enough to jump into laser cutting for profit. Your better off farming the laser cutting to other companies and working on your designs. You can then buy $500 worth of finished products to sell and see if your idea pans out.

Lets say you get a machine for $500, You still need to buy stock like wood, acrylic, products for engraving - What a lot of people dont understand is theirs alot of extra stuff that is needed - Table Saw to cut materiel to size, Sander if your working with wood, Packaging supplies if your selling online. Once you get your machine your gonna waste aton of supplies on learning the system and then alot more on stuff no one wants to buy. Its really hard to get a hit product right off the start - If it wasn't everyone would own a Laser cutting and be make tons of money. 9 out of 10 start ups fail within the first 24 months, do your research and have the right amount of funds available and you'll have a chance to be in the 10% that succeed.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

I'm pretty sure we scared the OP away.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Let's just say his question is akin to buying a box of toothpicks, knowing you'd like to build a house later on when you have enough lumber...
    But yes, 'read', and use the search function...!
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

I call them one hit wonders. They sign up ask a question and poof never to be heard from again.I think I mentioned it before that you have to become a contributor to ask questions.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander