Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden Y axis problem

Sudden Y axis problem

Hi, I have a G Weike LC1390 dual head laser. I’m using Lasercut 5.3. I have been using it for a couple of years now with no major problems.

Today I was cutting some parts and all was OK until I went to cut another part and suddenly things went a bit strange with my Y axis.

While the X axis is fine, the Y axis now only moves half way and every thing is only half the height it should be. The heads return to the datum just fine but when trying to move the head to the front of the machine using the cursor buttons the head again stops halfway.

I’ve switched off and on again numerous times and reloading the configuration file and lasercut and it’s made no difference, the gantry still stops half way between the back and the front of the machine and everything still comes out half the height it should. Checking the setting in laser cut all appears to be as it should. I’m at a total loss as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you able to manually move the gantry all the way to the front stop position?

I mean by hand not with the arrows.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi, I can but it's quite hard to move and I had to force it, not like when the machine is switched off. After I'd moved it to the front, when I tried to move the head to the back of the machine again using the cursor keys it stopped half way again and wouldn't go to the back until I pressed the datum button.

I'm not familiar with your machine but I wonder if there isn't something binding such as a gear, pulley or some impediment. My first thought was the motor but since it operates adequately to move halfway on the axis it's probably ok. We have a lot of members who have similar machines so I'm sure a few of them will chime in with some ideas.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I had that thought but it's now cutting half size on the y axis, the right shape but only half the height. If I try to cut a 12" square it comes out about 12 x 6. The x axis is fine. I'm totally stumped!

DON'T move the axis by hand

If you do it with the machine turned on it will damage the steppers, if you do it with the machine off the steppers work like a generator and will damage the step drivers.

It sounds like a scale factor is set in the machine settings (you can auto scale in the settings)
    You did what !

It's as if half the bed can't be used anymore and everything is squashed into the other half.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    if you do it with the machine off the steppers work like a generator and will damage the step drivers.
    I've never damaged a stepper driver, and I move them by hand frequently. Not just lasers but routers, 3d printers, mat cutters, mills and robots. I move all of them by hand - some of them require being moved by hand.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Normally the stepper drivers have diodes to protect them but if you are able to move the stepper fast enough to generate a high voltage you might be able to damage the driver. If you move things slowly there shouldn't be an issue.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Blog Entries
    Move slowly with machine off and it should be ok. Don't push fast and no current should build up.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Had someone come into my shop and pushed the Gantry to the end and it blew a driver. Lucky it there was a fuse on it. Gecko 203

He posted the same question over on CNCZone and I gave him the same answer he has gotten here? I have moved stepper motors all over the place, with the power off and slowly and never had an issue. If you are concerned, unplug the motor.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have an update!

I tried the laser cutter with another computer and the head now moves the full depth of the bed, y axis. However, the cutting size is still the same, x axis is fine but the y axis is still half size. Where do I go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by alan corder View Post
    I have an update!

I tried the laser cutter with another computer and the head now moves the full depth of the bed, y axis. However, the cutting size is still the same, x axis is fine but the y axis is still half size. Where do I go from here?
    Ahh, you said you used the keypad meaning keypad on the controller and it did the same thing..... why would changing computers make any difference?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

i have absolutely no idea, that's the problem.