Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe for an overhead hoist to continuously raise a load?

Is it safe for an overhead hoist to continuously raise a load?

I'm wondering about this one. I'm thinking of suspending a lumber rack from the ceiling on a hoist and rails. It can be lowered when needed, but otherwise lifted out of the way.

Is it safe to keep a load lifted continuously on a hoist (assuming proper capacity of the hoist)?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Generally not a good I deal to leave a load suspended unattended. What you could do though is have pins that you put in the rails under the rack when up and then let the load rest on to them. When you want it down lift the load and remove the pins and lower to the floor. You shouldn't get under a suspended load even for a few minutes in case something lets go.

I would definitely have chains to take load off lifting mechanics. Over engineered in every sense would be how I would approach this.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I would definitely have chains to take load off lifting mechanics. Over engineered in every sense would be how I would approach this.
    Please don't do this unless you use load rated chains. I believe they would be grade 80, and make sure any attaching equipment or points are rated for the load.
    Last edited by Jerry Bruette; 09-02-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Generally not a good I deal to leave a load suspended unattended. What you could do though is have pins that you put in the rails under the rack when up and then let the load rest on to them. When you want it down lift the load and remove the pins and lower to the floor. You shouldn't get under a suspended load even for a few minutes in case something lets go.
    I've thought of this approach. I've also thought of having a lumber rack on wheels that holds sheet lumber that I can wheel out of the way when I lower the hardwood lumber rack, but can serve as a base for the upper rack when it's lifted in air by the hoist.

Sounds complicated, but it would be a huge space saver, and height isn't an issue, floor space is.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 09-02-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Basic rule for lifting - NEVER work under a suspended load. It's all good until it isn't and thete is no warning. Use your ingenuity to come up with a fixed rack of some kind. Cheers

Find another place to store you lumber!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

A really bad idea.

There is so much fail in doing something like you are thinking about it boggles the imagination!

So counterweighting it with a big weight labeled Acme won't make it better????

Actually, never considered working under it. That crazy I'm not. It would be one lumber rack serving as a base for a lifted up one on a hoist.

When I want to access the top lumber rack, I would move out the lower lumber rack and lower the upper one on its tracks to the floor.

I may just make a very tall lumber rack and rolling stairs.

It'll be better if there is a meep meep horn!

What you are going to do isn't any less safe than forklifting pallets onto a rack 20 feet high. As long as it is designed to handle the loads there is nothing wrong with the idea. We all hop into elevators without giving thought to it just being a fancy hoist.

You're just making a baby version of these.
    http://www.ssi-schaefer.ca/storage-d...ng-system.html

Peter, I have to disagree with you. Pallet systems like you linked to are FIXED structures. The items on them are not hanging from a ceiling by a chain.

Comparing what he is doing to an elevator is also incorrect. Elevators are way, way, WAY over engineered, in addition they are inspected regularly, they also have automatic brakes that are applied in case of failure. Chains on a hoist are not even close to that.

All that said, the OP has now told us that he is going to install another rolling lumber rack under it and will not be going under it to do anything.

Given that, sounds ok to me as long as if it fails it does not cascade on to him.
    Last edited by Ted Reischl; 09-03-2017 at 1:22 PM.

If I do it, it will be securely attached to rails on the wall. I don't plan on giving it any play at all, thinking about linear bearings, actually. If it fell, it would remain attached to the wall.

Again, seems over-engineered to me, and even though it would be convenient to have access to either lumber rack at floor level, it's likely not worth the huge cost and risk.

Alan

Generally speaking, no, you wouldn't leave a load suspended on a hook. It's your garage though and the load wouldn't be that high.
    Once you have the rack lifted to the desired point, run a bolt through the chain hoist links to lock it in place. This takes the burden off the internal brake/clutch in the hoist should it slip.

Have you thought about using one of those 4 post car lifts? I see them on craigslist all the time. One rack on top, an one on a rolling cart underneath. Might work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I worked on the EJ Thomas Performing arts hall in Akron and their ceiling is suspended by movable cables. There are some chime like weights in the lobby that work part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I've thought of this approach. I've also thought of having a lumber rack on wheels that holds sheet lumber that I can wheel out of the way when I lower the hardwood lumber rack, but can serve as a base for the upper rack when it's lifted in air by the hoist.
    This sounds like a safe and simple solution if you have the space.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford