Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it safe for an overhead hoist to continuously raise a load?

Did OP say what the rack is suspended from? 2x10s are a whole different deal than roof trusses which generally aren't rated to hang much of anything from. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Did OP say what the rack is suspended from? 2x10s are a whole different deal than roof trusses which generally aren't rated to hang much of anything from. Dave
    It's a masonry home. Built to withstand a Cat 5 storm (which I hope doesn't get tested this week).

It will be suspended from two steel I-beams from the block walls, with the appropriately rated trolley. I will have a structural engineer spec out, and inspect the installation.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Must say I'm in the camp of "bad idea" ... though now I have to confess to having three boats hoisted above my head in several parts of the shop.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    If you use a hoist and attachment points designed for overhead use you should be ok. Ever been to a concert where a ton of speakers are overhead held up by a single electric chain hoist? Those folks have safety uppermost in mind. Most winches have a tag stating that they are not designed for overhead use. Hoist vs winch.
    NOW you tell me...