Thread: Finish for a cane

Finish for a cane

I was in Woodcraft this morning and spotted a kit for a turned two piece walking cane. Not really a kit but the hardware to turn a really nice cane. Handle, joiner and tip. The store I was in had the brass handles but not the joiner or tip. Oh well mail order is not that expensive from Woodcraft. What kind of finish would be good for a walking cane ? I have some highly figured hard maple blanks and some rosewood, both suitable sizes for the cane. Not sure which I will use.

A good exterior poly or spar varnish should work well for you. If taking it apart is not needed, you could turn in one or several pieces by using tenon and mortise joints I have used 3 different methods. If the grain is straight down the shaft great. If not recommend splitting and turning one half end for end and gluing for a stronger shaft.
    C&C WELCOME

If it is used it will probably need to be refinished every so often. My wood cane rarely gets used, so the finish lasts a long time, I am also not too picky about appearance. I use teak oil, easy to apply several coats and is pretty durable, but also easy to clean up and add another coat. But then, I use my aluminum cane about 95% of the time.

A cane needs to be fitted to the user, guides are on the Internet. Also it needs a non slip tip, nothing worse than having the cane go sideways with it holding you balance.