Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Child proofing a basement woodshop. Help me choose a strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    But the single-phase would be hard to shut-off without killing the lights and furnace.
    With planning you can put the 1ph 240v machinery circuits and 120v tool outlets in a separate sub-panel so you can easily switch them off with a key-lock setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Or you can just teach your kids to respect and be cautious of machines and tools. Better than making stuff seem forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Fred ... do you have a photo of how that cowling pin works?
    Hi Bill.
    It works exactly like a safety pin, without the point. Here's a pic:
    20170905_201753.jpg

Hope it helps.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Or you can just teach your kids to respect and be cautious of machines and tools. Better than making stuff seem forbidden.
    When I was in the 4th grade I sat next to a kid whose dad had a wood shop in the basement. He said he let him make things, perhaps tried to teach him safety. One day he decided to use the table saw by himself. He had a thumb and one finger on one hand and a thumb and two fingers on the other hand.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    When I was in the 4th grade I sat next to a kid whose dad had a wood shop in the basement. He said he let him make things, perhaps tried to teach him safety. One day he decided to use the table saw by himself. He had a thumb and one finger on one hand and a thumb and two fingers on the other hand.

JKJ
    That is a failure on both parts, the father and the kid.
    The more you tell a kid something is off limits, the more they want to mess with it.

My 11 year old tails the slr for me, she is proficient with the RAS, knows how to operate the fork lift and can feed my planer and the moulders.

They get started with a drill press and 10" delta bandsaw.

They know what everything does and what could happen if not used properly or if they turn something on they shouldn't. They have been involved with everything since they were about 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    They know what everything does and what could happen if not used properly or if they turn something on they shouldn't. They have been involved with everything since they were about 3.
    That's the way to do it!

Much depends on the child. Come to think of it, the kid with the missing fingers never impressed me as too smart. In fact, he seemed to be strongly on the other end of the spectrum. Perhaps it ran in the family.

The drill press is a good start. My own grandson a few years ago, after he first mastered the gimlets!
    alex_drill.jpg

JKJ

Great feedback so far, thank you so much for taking the time to share some tips. I should have clarified that I am not looking to forego the necessary safety and hands on teachings and to have my kids fully up to speed on the risks associated with the tools and equipment in the shop. I plan to do the same thing with firearms at the right time but I still lock those up regardless of how much awareness training I can offer.

The other point of clarification is that I already have a sub panel installed right next to my main panel. It powers a pool pump and that's it. It also used to run a hot tub that is no longer installed. So I don't think I can disconnect the entire sub panel when I am not using the shop. It's not a huge shop, and aside from my light circuit, I'm only looking to run four circuits. Is a simple solution to put a four gang box somewhere, and put a heavy duty switch for each circuit in it? Then I could just fixture a lock box over that switch box.

I also like the idea of an electronic deadbolt that has a key code for keyless entry.

Thanks again!

8. I'm in the same boat. In my old ship and in the one I'm currently working on, all the outlets that a kid could reach are on a single multi wire branch circuit with a disconnect switch. That circuit powers all the stationary machines too. That way I can kill power to the machines when I'm not around.

This isn't a substitute for proper training with the kids. It's just more for my own piece of mind. And the kids aren't allowed to be around my tools when I'm not there. But if they ever want to help or use any of them, I never say no. That's our arrangement with all dangerous objects. It does make every project 5 times as long though. 😁

Hi Tony, my shop has a lockable disconnect switch that removes power from all the machines except the dust collector............Regards, Rod.

I put all shop circuits on their own panel setup that had a locking door.

Kids turning on tools or plugging stuff was my greatest fear

I had a locking shut off (like for an outdoor Ac compressor). A padlock kept it locked. The circuit then fed a breaker box which fed the individual circuits.

Good luck
    Joe

Its not just the power tools that are dangerous. Lots of sharp and heavy things to worry about.

The best way? Lock the shop door.

Charley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    If you lock everything up, kids will find it the one time you forget. My personal opinion is that education and stern enforcement of the rules is a much better long term strategy.
    This is the best way. Teach them respect for the tools.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    +1 on the sub-panel. I've done this twice but my situation was different. We had one daughter who showed little interest in the shop. I had the sub-panel and cutoff for two reasons:
    1. I mounted the cutoff below the sub-panel so, "If daddy get's in trouble, pull the big red lever."
    2. The cutoff means I can power down the sub panel and do whatever I want without fear of electrocution.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    "If daddy gets in trouble, pull the big red lever."
    Oh, I need one of those in the house. For when I forget to put my socks in the hamper. Don't empty the dishwasher. Am late with the morning coffee. Forget an anniversary. Accidentally buy a new truck. Or the absolute worst: mud on the floor. Somebody, quick! pull the Big Red Lever!

Seriously, that is an excellent idea.

JKJ