Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floating Cabinet Plan (Finehomebuilding)

Installed earlier this summer. Used 1/2" and 3/4" maple prefinished plywood, rabetted (dadoed) glued and screwed. Finished panels are just MDF with solid edging and veneer epoxied (vacuum bagged) inside and out. There is an entire sub carcass with a bottom torsion box. My biggest concern truthfully was the wall framing which was suspect. Hadn't sprayed the bottom trim when these photos were taken.

I have the detailed design but the forum won't allow me to upload.

Ok ... figured it out (converted to jpg) ... note the original design called for legs, but the architect preferred without legs and it is certainly sturdy enough (wall question included) to stand on its own.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 09-04-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added print
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by mike waters View Post
    ...Do you suggest a book I could buy to learn about cabinet work? ..
    It has been so long since I was a novice that the books I read are mostly out of print. Linden Press is a good place to look for woodworking books. http://www.woodworkerslibrary.com/index.php?p=home . I see a book by Peter Korn called Woodworking Basics which might get you started. There's another, by Bill Hylton, called Illustrated Cabinetmaking, which looks good.

I was also reading about plywood cabinet doors warping in humid areas (like the laundry room)...
    Don't use crappy plywood. Plywood is used for cabinet doors on millions of boats and yachts.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Don't use crappy plywood. Plywood is used for cabinet doors on millions of boats and yachts.
    hi andy! thanks for the reply!
    I purchased:
    Columbia Purebond Maple P-2 .. From Nashville Plywood
    is that considered 'non-crappy'?
    Last edited by mike waters; 09-04-2017 at 3:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    It has been so long since I was a novice that the books I read are mostly out of print. Linden Press is a good place to look for woodworking books. http://www.woodworkerslibrary.com/index.php?p=home . I see a book by Peter Korn called Woodworking Basics which might get you started. There's another, by Bill Hylton, called Illustrated Cabinetmaking, which looks good.
    Thanks jamie!

Any suggestions for either:
    1.) building my own clamps, or
    2.) purchasing them?

What sizes would you recommend?

I am determined to make all of our homes furniture (bed frames, tables, dressers, etc.) So i do not mind spending money for something I will have forever.

Perhaps there is a thread somewhere that shows me how to setup a cabinet/furniture making shop? with vises etc.?

I tend to dive head first into things...

I have been getting a lot more help than I expected! I thought I would've been shunned for not knowing anything (sort-of)

-mike
    Last edited by mike waters; 09-04-2017 at 3:23 PM.

hi andy! thanks for the reply!
    I purchased:
    Columbia Purebond Maple P-2 .. From Nashville Plywood
    is that considered 'non-crappy'?
    No idea; never used it. You'll have to do your own due diligence.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Hey all,

About to get started with these vanities and a couple concerns have come up, mainly regarding finishing.
    I have chosen to go with 7 ply, prefinished plywood. I was going to go with MDF and veneer everything but it just was not sitting right in my stomach - too many new things at once for me...

I have never built anything like a cabinet before, and just started to learn about edgebanding.
    I was reading that prefinished edgeband is near impossible to "match".

Any thoughts on this?

So no, I am thinking of getting staingrade 7 ply and then applying a clear coat finish...

Buy edgestrip at the same time as your ply and be picky about making sure you get some that does match. Make the choice yourself rather than some bozo grabbing any old roll off the shelf. Cheers

Plywood - and edge banding - is not nearly as durable as solid wood edged and veneered doors/drawer fronts. Problem is you simply can't get the solid wood edging "under' the veneer yourself without ... veneering. Plus, plywood panels from big box will undoubtedly have limited grain, and are typically rotary cut.

Possibly consider having a specialty firm do your veneering for you? You can solid wood edge the mdf and deliver and they will prep and veneer, or you can provide the spec and they will fabricate. They can use a 1/16th" veneer which will be substantially easier to work with and more durable in use. The guys I've used (Cairo, NY) are fantastic and much faster and more consistent than I am at veneering. That is actually my preferred approach if building more than a small vanity like I show above. For the end panels perhaps your design approach doesn't require solid wood edging pre-applied.

Same idea as drawers. While I can build drawers (and actually did for a job this weekend) the rational approach is to buy them. I have a local supplier that specializes in drawers and cranks them out like hot dogs!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius