Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What size Portable Generator do you have?

We have a Honda i2000 (2000 watt, inverter) generator. We live in a townhouse so the generator MUST be quiet. This is enough to run the gas water heater, gas furnace, and refrigerator, plus maybe a television. I have to cook on the propane grill, or do some unplugging and use the microwave (small microwave). We got through the ice storm about 8 years ago this way. If I had some (about $1200) spare cash I would buy the parallel mate to my generator and just feed the panel. This would give me the full use (though not at the same time) of all my 120 volt circuits. This would mean no ac or dryer, but very doable. And just like Ole Andersons picture, the interlock switch is a must. Us electricians seem to think we wouldn't make the classic home owners mistake of forgetting to unplug the generator when the power comes back on. One of my best friends is also an electrician, and during the same ice storm he backfed his generator into the panel without an interlock switch. On Saturday night he and his wife had a wedding to go to, so he gave his adult son the instructions on what to do if the power came back on. Turn the generator off. Unplug the generator. Turn the main breaker on. Of course the power came back on, and his son turned the generator off, and turned the main breaker on, forgetting to unplug it. Generator still runs like a Swiss watch, but she don't make electricity no more LOL. I'm hoping none of our generators are gonna be needed in the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Hood View Post
    After years of dealing with a gas unit to me propane seems like a better idea for a piece of equipment that gets run very seldom. I would be interested in hearing from others that have gone the propane route. Thanks.
    Propane is a marvelous idea. You can store as much as you want as it doesn't go bad, and it doesn't gunk up your fuel system. And even when gasoline is unavailable you can probably find propane. A decent propane generator is rather more expensive than a gasoline generator and you have to worry about icing up a small tank with a big generator. But otherwise...

As one of the Neanderthals around here, I don't need a generator. However, SWMBO needs a generator.

After limping through a two week outage after a hurricane, with just enough portable to run a refrigerator, a few lights and a few other odds and ends, we got a whole house 15 KW Generac propane unit, a 500 gallon tank and an automatic transfer switch. The gen set runs a weekly self-test at a set time (we get to set the time) so we know it's behaving. It gets an oil and air filter change every six months and burns about two gallons of propane a year on it's self-tests. The local utility has a poor record of outages and long waits for restoration of power, so we also get some use out of the thing. The longest was ten days, 24 hours a day that burned through just over half a tank of propane. The house is all electric, including ac, cooking, heating and water heating - all power hogs. No problems. We've had the unit for six years now and have had one problem that was covered by warranty. That was discovered in a routine inspection and corrected quickly, so it didn't impact our usage during an outage. We have no complaints, all our electronics are fine on gen set power, and with an automatic start, automatic transfer switch and automatic shut down when utility power is restored, we don't even have to think about the thing very much.

All those things are, of course, unimportant to a Neander woodworker, but SWMBO makes me French bread, Italian pasta and other goodies that ruin my diet, so I don't mind indulging her with a nice gen set. (I do have a band saw I use for ripping rough stock and it was nice to have the power for that. And it's a bit easier on my eyes to have the good shop lights working; candle light and oil lamps are not as convenient.)

Sitting here, hunkered down waiting for the arrival of Irma, we're hoping not to have occasion to further validate the benefits of our choice of stand-by power. However, the propane tank is full and the system just tested. After all, that's an essential requirement for stand-by power.
    Last edited by James Waldron; 09-10-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Dave, I have something like ten generators here on the farm, ranging from 2kw portable diesel units up to 225KW stationary models. In-between are 5500 watt, 6500 watt (2), 9000 watt (2), 10,000 watt (2), and a 12,500 watt unit.

If you are not trying to run an air conditioner, electric heater, electric dryer, or electric range/oven something in the range of 5 - 8 KW should be fine for your needs. A unit that size will pull a fridge, freezer, microwave oven, TV, a few lights and fans, a well pump, and furnace fan if you have gas or oil heat. Many of the generator manufacturers have online load calculators to help you determine sizing.

If you want to be able to power any of the higher current appliances or air conditioner, you will need to jump to around 13KW or greater.

Most of my generators are diesel due to it's higher fuel efficiency. I also have 5500 watt and 16KW propane units, and a 6500 watt Honda gasoline model.

Propane and natural gas are nice if you have a large storage tank (125 gallons +) because the fuel does not go bad; however these are not so good of choices for a smaller, portable unit.

Fuel consumption for a generator is based upon the load and the engine's displacement. A smaller sized unit running on average at 50% load will provide you with better fuel efficiency than a large unit running at an average 5% load.

There are multiple methods to handle power transfer - ranging from using extension cords on the low end to an automatic transfer switch on the upper end. In-between are interlock systems, manual transfer switch systems and sub-panel approaches. The biggest drawback to the extension cord approach is that voltage drop through the cords and the hassle of getting them out in the middle of a storm when you lose power.

Typically generators are made to operate at two different rpm's - 1800 and 3600. 1,800 rpm units typically last much longer than 3600 rpm models and generate less noise when running. They are more expensive though.

For a portable gasoline unit, the Honda EU7000i is hard to beat. It has a low rpm eco mode, operates very quietly and is extremely dependable. We've put a few thousand hours of operation on it's predecessor - the EU6500i and have been very pleased with it.

Best of success to you with your endeavor.

Scott

Dave, I bought two because I have similar needs and no one unit fit the bill. Go too big so I can run the well and the water heater and it costs too much to run for small things. Go too small, and you can't run the big stuff. So......

I bought a Lincoln Weld&Power for the big stuff, gives me the bonus of a portable welder and a Honda 2000 for the fan on the wood furnace, fridge, freezer. As a bonus the little Honda is perfect for occasional site work and camping.

Having two doubles my chances of one working when I really need it. Most times the Honda will do all I really need, my needs being pretty basic.

I have a 6,400 continuous model from Harbor freight. It is now 9 yrs old. It probably has about 100 hours on it. I have to start it every three months. If I don't I need to pull the spark plugs and drip in a few drops of gas to get it started. Our outdoor boiler really only required about 1,000 watts to run the circulator and fan. We needed 220 to run the well pump so I could water the livestock. . Our other household needs were only another 2,500 watts. I had the electrician install a lockout switch that only permits the generator to be plugged in when the main is switched off.

Kerosene heaters can be nearly odorless. But as soon as they are used a few times, the odor starts. If kept meticulously clean and the wick is replaced frequently the odor is not too bad. But it is also necessary to use only the expensive clear kerosene. In our new house we opted for a propane range and oven. We can keep the house warm by baking some goodies. I also had the electrician figure out how we can run the downstairs furnace with the generator. The heat will rise up the open stairwell and keep the second floor reasonable warm.

Irma has come and gone. She trod only lightly on Northern Florida but with above-ground wiring and trees everywhere, it doesn't take much. We've been without power 2 days now, along with nearly everybody else around. The Ridgid 8600/6500-watt generator I mentioned earlier is doing its thing out on the porch, loafing at 36% of capacity according to the front-panel meter. The panel can be removed from the generator and attached at the end of a custom extension cord so it and its 2 20-amp receptacles are in the living room. We have 150-200 feet of extension cords running around the house.

Next time: this is more than enough capacity. I'm wasting capacity because I've reached my tolerance for extension cords. I want it wired to the panel. I don't regret having bought this generator. It's been rock-solid and starts with 1 or 2 pulls. I'd like to make better use of it.

Alan, I was curious if you and folks in your area still have natural gas service after the storm?

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Alan, I was curious if you and folks in your area still have natural gas service after the storm?
    AFAIK there were no NG outages. We're outside the service area for gas anyway. Irma was a shadow of its former self by the time it got here (Northern Florida) and only 65% of the county was out of electric power on Monday, most restored by Wednesday. Not much other damage, especially compared to what it did in other places.

A friend who has NG available is ready to install a generator which would use it and I have also wondered about the reliability of it. Seems like it would be the best solution if you could count on it being there.