Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Thoughts?

Chainsaw Thoughts?

My old Poulan 18" has seen better days. I could definitely use something with a longer bar. Any body have thoughts on a good consumer/residential chainsaw? (bigger than 18")
    Mike

I have owned 3-4 Husqvarna pro models in years past, but converted to Stihl about 6-8 years ago, and happy I did.

Can't really go wrong with either, but all the tree guys in my area are running Stihl, that told me something.

I bought a Blue Max from Home depot 3 years ago and like it I got the combo unit with the 20" and 14" bar and case.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I have owned 3-4 Husqvarna pro models in years past, but converted to Stihl about 6-8 years ago, and happy I did.

Can't really go wrong with either, but all the tree guys in my area are running Stihl, that told me something.
    Lowes sells Husqvarna, and I like buying from them. Something goes wrong, they take care of it. I'm wishing I could buy the model with the 60cc engine and swap out 20" and 24" bars. Is this doable?

How is he Husqvarna chain tightened? My Poulan has two bolts that are loosened, and a screw that is turned. I have found this to be not terribly effective over time given wear. It slips.

I was researching this a while back and two pieces of advice stuck with me:

(1) find out what the shop your local pros use and buy what they stock & service locally. That way you know you can get parts, service, and repairs done.

(2) for use in the shop corded electric chainsaws get a lot of love and are apparently very capable these days. (IIRC- the major chainsaw brands & Makita were the electric saws mentioned.)

Unfortunately, that's as far as I've gotten so I can't offer any first hand recommendations.

Stihl 291. There is a reason that Lowes sells Husky, and it's not because they are the best saw on the market.

All the pros around here use Stihl. I've rented them before and will get one if I need to replace my current Poulan, which I got at a garage sale for $20.

OK. So there is a lot of support for Stihl. Can I get one with a 20" and 24" bar? I won't need 24" often. And would be happy to go with 20" for now. And I want it to have power a bunch.

Stihl is only available through dealers. How do I know a dealer is trustworthy?

I'll go against what the vast majority of people will tell you.
    I purchased a Stihl and had it back to service shop twice when new. Could not keep it running. They have ported it out so much I now have to keep an extra spark plug in my pocket. Had a Stihl trimmer in the 80's and could not keep it running.
    If I was doing over I would get an Echo. I have an Echo trimmer and it is the best one I have ever owned.

But like I said, Stihl is what most will recommend.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My 291 pulls a 24" bar and chain fine but it's right at the limit because of the way I sharpen and cut. (I keep the rakers lower than normal because it works better with my cutting style) It is perfect with a 20". If I used the big bar more I would probably step up to a 311 to have a little more reserve.

Stihl is very good but for just occasional use it is expensive

OK, I hear you. DO you have an idea what the 311/391 price is? Including two bars and chains? I looked at specs and like what I see. (John Lanciani)

Looks like the 311 is $509 and the 391 is $579 right now.

Stihl. I use the .029 (MS290) Farm Boss with an 18" bar. The next sizes up will handle a longer bar nicely, if you need it, and are still reasonably priced. But don't forget that you can also cut from both sides... There's only been one time that I wished for more than my 18" bar in recent years. I personally wouldn't buy any chainsaw that isn't from Stihl, Husqui', etc., and never from a home center as quite often the units sold there are made to cost, rather than to function. I made that mistake for my first one and in the end, it cost me a lot more than just buying the better machine in the first place. A good, quality chainsaw will last and last and will also start easily each and every time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...