Thread: Tea Caddies

Blog Entries

Tea Caddies

I was asked to build something for our upcoming 50th class reunion for use in a Chinese auction to give us seed money for the next reunion. After tossing several ideas around I decided to build a tea caddy to give to the class. Since my wife and I are tea drinkers, I also decided that while I was at it, it was just as easy to build two and make one for us. I went through my short stock inventory and found some nice pieces of red oak and some really nice pieces of cherry. I planed the boards down to 1/2" thickness. The corner joints are locking rabbet joints. The dividers are made of 1/8" plywood from the local craft store. They are finished on the inside with clear shellac and the outsides are finished with spray lacquer.
    Here is the one made of Red Oak.
    IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    Here is the Cherry one.
    IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    Guess which one we are keeping.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Very nice! Personally, I'd keep the cherry. I love cherry. I think the stain took very well on the oak. There's not a mark or blotch in it. What made you decide to use plywood for the dividers?
    Fred

Blog Entries
    I wanted them thin and didn't want to try using solid wood as I thought the tabs might break off too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I wanted them thin and didn't want to try using solid wood as I thought the tabs might break off too easily.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

Looks good. What kind of hinge did you use?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very attractive and excellent for the purpose!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Looks good. What kind of hinge did you use?
    I used small box brass cylinder hinges from Rockler.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks, I'm going to give them try.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Tea time

Nice. I'm not going to let my wife see that unless you are prepared to take a commission!

Your solution looks a lot better that what I use, regular and decaf:

tea.jpg

BTW, a cup of hot tea goes well with toast with a bit of the freshly canned apple butter in the picture.

JKJ