Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else have their browsing tracked by Staples?

The preferences on the computer are set-up to eliminate cookies each day, so the advertising isn't that bad. That said, when signed into Amazon they do track browsing history.

Use Opera.....no adverts at all, not one. Opera is Chrome with a different front end and some better gizmos in it for those who don't know.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Use Opera.....no adverts at all, not one. Opera is Chrome with a different front end and some better gizmos in it for those who don't know.
    Opera is built upon the mozilla project like FireFox.

Fire Fox has both ad blocker, and tracker protection in the ad on's.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Opera is built upon the mozilla project like FireFox.
    Everything I can find on Opera says it is based on the Chromium engine which is what Google Chrome is based off of.

Opera started as its own browser, but then started using WebKit by way of Chromium from Google Chrome, and has continued along those lines (see Blink below)

Google Chrome started as a WebKit, but then forked WebKit to make the "Blink" rendering engine.

Firefox was "the browser reloaded", being created by stripping out just the web browser from the Mozilla Application suite.

I've stuck with Firefox as my primary browser. Firefox has privacy badger and other privacy oriented add-ons. Ublock origin and especially NoScript are necessities for me. Google makes a great deal of revenue, the majority of their company wide income from ads so I just can't see them being serious about limiting ads or other intrusive technologies. As far as my phone, it makes calls and sends & receives texts. That's it, and I still get unsolicated calls. If I don't recognize the number it goes to voice mail. Web browsing on a phone except in limited circumstances, why? Computer screens have gotten larger over the years and now I'm supposed to go from one or more 25+" screens to one 4" - 6" screen? Yes I know about m.whatever.com but except in limited circumstances why?
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-08-2017 at 8:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone else experience this sort of browser tracking and targeted advertising?
    My wife has been shopping for swimsuits and other clothes on line. Google's ad choice picks this up and the ads inserted in pages reflect what my wife has been buying on line.

Now during my perusal of the news and other sites the ads that fill in the sides of the screen are of women's swimsuits and other clothing items.

One of my solutions is to use three browsers. One of them gets the history and cookies cleared at least once a day. It seems to load faster than the other two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I simply do not see any adverts, full stop using Opera. They can track me all they want as I can't be bothered with the inconvenience caused by stopping them.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening