Thread: Milwaukee 5625 without lift

Milwaukee 5625 without lift

I have a Milwaukee 5625-29 that I mounted in an enclosed, shop made, MDF router table years ago. I included the adjustment hole to allow adjustment from the top, but I still have to open up the unit to unlock and lock it after every adjustment. (It won't move when the lock is latched.) Is there a way to loosen the lock so that the router is both stable in use and allows adjustment from the top? I can't see it easily, but I think there may be a latch tension adjustment on the base. However, I don't know if loosening the adjustment would leave the router out of square or subject to unwanted movement during use. Please let me know your experience, thanks.

I was thinking about upgrading to the Incra router lift with the magnetic inserts. But if I can get this to work from the top, I may just buy the inserts, rout the pattern out on my table top, glue in some magnets, and keep on using my table.

I don't think the router would be stable without locking it. Vibration may cause it to change depth setting, just me .02 though.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

My experience is with a Freud FT2000 and Router Raizer, not a Milwaukee so take this for what it's worth. When I first installed the Router Raizer I removed the plunge springs as recommended. I needed to lock the plunge lock so the router didn't lower in use. I then replaced the springs and the spring tension on the lead screw was enough that I don't need to lock the plunge lock in use and it doesn't move. Again, this is not a Milwaukee.

I have that router in the incra lift. you will gain precision in addition to convenience if you upgrade.

I also have the 5625 w/out a lift.
    I've forgotten to throw the locking lever more than a few times w/no apparent effect or change in depth.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Don't do it. The plastic adjustment mechanism in the 5625 is barely up to the task of raising the router (it will start to slip eventually), let alone holding the routers weight while running.

Thanks all. I ended up splurging and bought the Incra lift. Now I just need to relaminate my shop-built table and add some supports.

Blog Entries
    I ran mine without a lift without problems. You do need to unlock the carriage before trying to adjust. I eventually went to a lift and my 5625 has done nothing but run. Variable speed is great for finding the sweet spot for optimal material/profile/feed rate combination. Dad has gotten along fine with his Triton and the built-in features but, a lift is a different animal. You will be very happy with the Incra I should think. My Original Woodpecker PRL has been a workhorse and never required adjustment. Routine maintenance like cleaning and lubricating things per the manual is all I have every done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That's great to hear. I'm looking forward to having it up and running this weekend.