Thread: Trends in sales?

Trends in sales?

On another forum a full time turner was asking others about sales.......what turners are experiencing related to them. I will post a couple of his questions/quotes.......

"I have been hearing that on a worldwide scale, sales of turnings is in a decline like in 08. I keep hearing of major turners whose sales are drying up and they are having to do tools and videos and be on the teaching circuit to survive.

But for those of you who actually put your work out for sale how is it going? Are sales happening? More or less than past years?
    So, Are you making sales? Are they on or below par for past years? You see it as some manner of trend of art decline or ascension?"

I think this is a good question for a broader cross section of turners, who may or may not use the other forum, so I will pose it here on SMC. I am interested in where you see the trend going? Geopolitical events can change things in a moment, or even a natural disaster that threatens the overall economy, so lets hope this cat 5 hurricane Irma gets steered away from where it can do major damage! Just to note, the turner says his sales have gone up since the election of our President. [Not being political here, just noting his sales had gone up! ]

If you chime in on this, would you add whether you do shows, galleries, internet [Pinterest, ebay,Etsy, etc]or some other sort of marketing your turned items.....thanks!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I am not sure one would be able to gain too much from the responses. So many variables - geographic location/demographics, type of gallery/shop, art vs. function, and so forth. But, I will be interested to see what folks say.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, I am not sure one would be able to gain too much from the responses. So many variables - geographic location/demographics, type of gallery/shop, art vs. function, and so forth. But, I will be interested to see what folks say.
    True about the variables, John, but perhaps some sense of where we are at can be discerned. I hope we get some responses, at least. I personally do not think the interest or market for turnings has dried up, but it may have slowed some.

I hope we see an upturn in the economy, but with the disfunctionality of our budget process, and nearly $20 trillion in debt, our politicians need to get down to fiscally responsible legislation, not to mention the costs of these natural disasters. I could say a lot more but I shall refrain from politics on this forum!

I don't sell turnings on purpose so I only know what others have told me. A well-known turner I know thought the trend towards reduced sales across country, at least in the high-end market, was in part due to the aging population of wealthy art collectors - they don't seem to be collecting as much now and the wealthy younger are not collecting.

I did notice when visiting a gallery recently that pieces of another very well known turner had prices WAY lower than just a few years ago, down to where I could almost afford one.

An informal discussion between craftspeople/students and artists/instructors at a regional crafts school suggested part of the problem was that due to funding issues hands-on art programs in many schools are being cut back or dropped. The lament was that the upcoming generation will not be taught to appreciate art, will not be as inclined to take up things like ceramics and woodturning, and probably will put their disposable cash into something besides art. Probably electronic tech...

JKJ

In my view, I just can't imagine using "a poor economy" or "consumer confidence" as reasons for slumping art sales.
    I fly for a living and in my 26 years of commercial flying, I can't remember a time when our jets were this full or my company making the profits they are. Just north of DFW airport (where I live) in the last 6 months four new hi-end car dealers; Audi, BMW, Jaquar, Range Rover have opened new dealership facilities. Restaurants are packed, the stock market is at it's all-time high. I was in Park City, Utah last week and the building of luxury homes and condos is off the charts.

I wonder if anyone here has ideas on how artisans/craft people can build an increasing appreciation in our culture for handmade items? Just as an example, the average person on the street might look at a wooden bowl and think......"a glass or plastic bowl can be washed in the dishwasher, ... I'm not sure I want to handwash and care for a wooden bowl."

How can we build appreciation in people's minds about the value of what we produce, in a disposable society? Appeal to the naturalist, environmentalist inclinations, perhaps?

It's been some time since I've posted here but the subject is one I can add to. I have had my work in a local shop for many years now and was happy to sale 3 or 4 items each year which has been the norm over the years. This year has been very different. The shop has sold around 25 of my bowls. They where priced the same as years past. Not sure what the difference is this year, it seemed that when they started leaving the shop customers took notice and decided they wanted to buy one. Even got calls from out of state from people who saw the bowls at a friend's house and wanted to see what I had. Some of these bowls had been at this shop for many years. Still not sure what is going on but I've been staying busy in the shop trying to have some items to sale next year. I'm hoping that these crazy sales will continue.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    It's been some time since I've posted here but the subject is one I can add to. I have had my work in a local shop for many years now and was happy to sale 3 or 4 items each year which has been the norm over the years. This year has been very different. The shop has sold around 25 of my bowls. They where priced the same as years past. Not sure what the difference is this year, it seemed that when they started leaving the shop customers took notice and decided they wanted to buy one. Even got calls from out of state from people who saw the bowls at a friend's house and wanted to see what I had. Some of these bowls had been at this shop for many years. Still not sure what is going on but I've been staying busy in the shop trying to have some items to sale next year. I'm hoping that these crazy sales will continue.
    Jack
    So cool, Jack......congratulations on the sales!

I would like to respond to this from the point of view of someone who does 60 days of shows a year ... and tries to pay the bills with my turnings. I set up at farmer's markets exclusively. They are in fairly high income areas only. 90 percent of my sales are bowls produced to be decorative. I rely on the availability of great wood. If what I produce is spectacular, it will sell at a price that will yield a comfortable margin. Ugly wood never sells too well.

My sales are down this year at the lower price points. I have sold very little at prices below $200. In fact, this weekend I will be having a 1/2 price sale on some lower priced items. I only have a few weeks of shows left to move this inventory out.

What we do is not a commodity like pork bellies, oil, or automobiles. It is a luxury, one of a kind purchase ... a non-necessity whose sales are driven by emotion, love of wood or art ... not need. We are such an infinitesimal part of the market as to not exist. Our sales, I believe, are tied more to the quality and appropriateness to the venue in which it is presented than anything else. If you have produced a product that pulls someone into your tent and touches their heart ... it will sell ... no matter how many nukes North Korea has. If you have produced a product that sucks, it probably won't sell (like my 1/2 price stuff this week.)

If we had thousands of us trying to sell their stuff as hard as Subaru, or Verizon, or Target, we could get a better read on things. But, our results are the result of a few of us selling a variety of products in a variety of ways with a wide scale of amounts of effort.

My sales are down slightly ... perhaps because of several reasons ... mostly due to my good judgment ... or lack thereof. As much effort as I put into this, the outcome is determined more by me than any outside influences ... except for the dad-gum rain that can ruin sales in a heart-beat. That, I can't control.

Hmm, I only do one show per year now. That show, still the best one I have ever done was slow this year. No idea why, but in my 30 years of doing shows, there are always good times and bad times, for no particular reason I can ever determine. Most of my stuff is 'utilitarian' as one clay artist told me once. Bowls mostly, and the ones in the 'personal' size range seem to sell the best. I do seem to sell about the same $ amount of both though, go figure... Over the years, I have found one trade magazine comment to be true. The only time people spend as much or more money than they do at Christmas time is when they are on vacation. The one show I do is a vacation for the work crews, booth vendors, and the people that come through the gates...

As for making money as a demonstrator, and at the Symposiums, you can't make it on appearance fees only. You need several gadgets, videos, and a work shop to boot if you want to make profit. My biggest problem as a seller is that I am not a sales man, or a good business man. I do work much better out in the shop tinkering. That is just where my skills fit in best. Probably why my furniture never sold well....

robo hippy

My personal sales have stayed steady but I sell only at my local famer's market, I sell only utilitarian pieces, and I definitely sell well below average market prices. Not trying to make money...just move pieces along in order to help defray the costs of my 'hobby'.

Considering that the bulk of our sales are from Christmas shows, I would have to say our summer sales have been solid, normal.
    We make mostly useful items for home, out of nice woods. Some of my solid best sellers are French Rolling pins out of burls and great looking woods. (I'm still astounded how many 24 to 36 inch rolling pins I sell)
    But we do sell some purely shelf decoration items, including Ellen's miniature hollow forms
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I think John is right and the comments pretty much support that. Many variables involved. I wonder how much difference the increasing income gap influences sales. My area is pretty poor. Many folks just don't have money for discretionary purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I think John is right ...
    Hmm... four posted to this thread so far. Of course, Johns are generally right, at least in Johns' minds. To avoid dispelling this belief please don't ask John's wife. Ha.

JKJ

This John.