Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick disconnect for 120mm port and 5" flex duct

Quick disconnect for 120mm port and 5" flex duct

I'm looking for the best option to connect 5" flex duct to MM CU300 120mm ports.

I need to move the hose around frequently, one hose moved between the lower saw and shaper ports, and the second hose between the planer, jointer, and shaper hood.

All MM ports are 120mm (actually they measure <120mm...).

Any good ideas for a quick disconnect fitting that has proven to work on this machine? I'm trying to finalize my ductwork design so I can actually turn on some new machines that have been sitting in the shop for a month unused .
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    All MM ports are 120mm (actually they measure <120mm...).
    That's odd; my Minimax S500P bandsaw has a 4" dust collection fitting and a 4" flex hose fits perfectly.

What are you using for piping? Actual OD size? How much of a mismatch is there between the hose and the fitting on the machines?

I am using 4 and 6" PVC and have made some 4" QD slip on fittings but I'm not sure what I'm doing will help. Pictures?

Not sure if your 120mm is ID or OD, but on my Hammer machine (which has 120mm OD ports), I've found that 4" ABS pipe gives a PERFECT friction fit to the inside of the dust port. 4" nominal ABS pipe is almost exactly 4.5" OD. So if you have 5" hose, maybe you could hose clamp it down onto a short section of 4" pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark ... I have 120mm bayonet (J-lock) male/female from Spiral and then use a Fernco (I forget the exact size) to attach that to the machine. Works about as expected allowing quick changeover. When I bought them they were about $12 for the female and $14 for the male.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I ran into the same issue when I got into european machines. Here's my take on it.

I used 4 inch ABS couplings. They are 4"15/16 OD, so the 5" flexible hose fits like a glove and they are 4"1/2 ID. I just checked them in the lathe using a plywood piece and rebored the ID to 125mm->120mm taper over 1"1/2 (by eye and testing fit). I made a few of those so every machine uses them and I can quickly disconnect them anytime.

IMG_20170905_185617.jpg

IMG_20170905_185605.jpg

IMG_20170905_185638.jpg

It's a little more involved (maybe 35 minutes for 5 of them) than Dan Friedrichs' solution, but I feel the airflow is better this way.

Hope this helps!

Very nice, Sebastian!

I use the Fernco rubber one for adapting 5" hose to the 120mm ports on my J/P because it needs to move between two ports, depending on what function I'm using. On my slider, I use a 120mm to 5" metal adapter from Oneida since that's fixed and never comes off.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Mark ... I have 120mm bayonet (J-lock) male/female from Spiral and then use a Fernco (I forget the exact size) to attach that to the machine. Works about as expected allowing quick changeover. When I bought them they were about $12 for the female and $14 for the male.
    Bill, I see a C-1-F fitting that looks like what you are describing, but no metric sizes are shown at this link . Is this the right supplier and part? I assume the interconnect point is not air tight, but 'good enough'.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien La Madeleine View Post
    I ran into the same issue when I got into european machines. Here's my take on it.

I used 4 inch ABS couplings. They are 4"15/16 OD, so the 5" flexible hose fits like a glove and they are 4"1/2 ID. I just checked them in the lathe using a plywood piece and rebored the ID to 125mm->120mm taper over 1"1/2 (by eye and testing fit). I made a few of those so every machine uses them and I can quickly disconnect them anytime.

IMG_20170905_185617.jpg

IMG_20170905_185605.jpg

IMG_20170905_185638.jpg

It's a little more involved (maybe 35 minutes for 5 of them) than Dan Friedrichs' solution, but I feel the airflow is better this way.

Hope this helps!
    Brilliant solute Sebastien, but I don't have a lathe (yet ).
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use the Fernco rubber one for adapting 5" hose to the 120mm ports on my J/P because it needs to move between two ports, depending on what function I'm using. On my slider, I use a 120mm to 5" metal adapter from Oneida since that's fixed and never comes off.
    Jim, can you describe in little more detail the bits and pieces of this solution, e.g. 5" flex clamped on the outside of a 5" straight rubber Fernco adaptor, which slips directly over the J/P port,...

Do you know which exact type of Fernco adaptor you used, I see many designs for pipe made of PVC, clay,...
    Mark McFarlane

Mark, it's the double ended Fernco used to "flexibly" join cast iron soil pipes which have an exterior diameter that approximates the 120mm you need. The inside diameter slips easily over the 120mm port and yes, the 5" flex pipe clamps over the outside of the rubber part. I bought mine at Home Depot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mark, it's the double ended Fernco used to "flexibly" join cast iron soil pipes which have an exterior diameter that approximates the 120mm you need. The inside diameter slips easily over the 120mm port and yes, the 5" flex pipe clamps over the outside of the rubber part. I bought mine at Home Depot.
    Thanks Jim.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Bill, I see a C-1-F fitting that looks like what you are describing, but no metric sizes are shown at this link . Is this the right supplier and part? I assume the interconnect point is not air tight, but 'good enough'.
    Mark ... if you call Spiral they will make "anything." In fact I get the impression that little is stocked, most everything is fabricated to order. I did order some 120mm reducers ... but when I went back and looked closer at the order it appears I used the 5" since that fit the flexible hose, and as Jim also suggested, the Fernco (from HD) to mate that to the 120mm ports (4.72") as shown in the photo. The Fernco I chose is a very tight fit at least n the 5" coupling, and would not be suitable for the quick change. However there are numerous Fernco fittings in this size range and one might be perfectly sized for your intended use. The Spiral j-lock coupling are engineered for an easy slipfit which means some folks would not be happy with the air losses they introduce. I have a shutoff on the rigid pipe just before the flex hose so I don't especially worry about the losses. The convenience of the easy change is great and with the bayonet I've never had one slip off in use. I also use it on a rolling unisaw which makes it fast and easy to disconnect and drop the dc hose, and roll the tool away when necessary.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thanks you Bill for the additional details. I think I'll try the Fernco by itself first, hopefully my slip-on/off experience will be as good as Jim's. Maybe a little talcum powder if it is tight. I'll definitely be changing frequently between J & P.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Not sure if your 120mm is ID or OD, but on my Hammer machine (which has 120mm OD ports), I've found that 4" ABS pipe gives a PERFECT friction fit to the inside of the dust port. 4" nominal ABS pipe is almost exactly 4.5" OD. So if you have 5" hose, maybe you could hose clamp it down onto a short section of 4" pipe.

Huh, I wrapped the outside of the 120mm port on my Hammer N4400 with electrical tape and used a 5" connector that fit perfectly on the outside of the port. Figured reducing the size of a dust collection port should be a last resort.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!