Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Stanley No.45, box and all

The Stanley No.45, box and all

Thought I would unpack mine, and set up for making a groove..
    IMG_1743 (640x480).jpg
    I set this little box on my bench, and open the lid..
    IMG_1741 (640x480).jpg
    Ok, I take the fence and the sliding stock, out of the box...
    IMG_1740 (640x480).jpg
    Which leaves the "Main Stock"...set it aside
    IMG_1738 (640x480).jpg
    With this style of a box, there are a couple holes in that diagonal brace. They are for spare/unused nickers/spurs
    I have two screwdrivers. The skinny one is for the spurs, larger one for the rest of the slotted screws. There are short and long rods, extra cutters, and the cam rest.
    IMG_1742 (640x480).jpg
    There are two rows of cutters. Currently, I have about..28 cutters.
    Needed to set up for a groove..
    IMG_1753 (640x480).jpg
    I made sure the area the cutter will go, is cleaned and free of..crud, I select the size cutter I need, and install it.
    IMG_1754 (640x480).jpg
    This time around, I went with the short rods. I have a screwdriver just for this...slots are a bit worn out.

Part two, coming up...

Ok, next steps....sliding stop..
    IMG_1755 (640x480).jpg
    Slide it on until the skate is right behind the left edge of the cutter. left just a whisker of the cutter out beyond the skate, to avoid any binding.
    IMG_1757 (640x480).jpg
    Next, I add the fence. Rods are in the lower holes, more clearance under the fence. I can use the upper holes, IF I need the fence under the cutter.
    Set to the width/distance the groove needs to be away from an edge...
    IMG_1756 (640x480).jpg
    Set the depth stop for how deep a groove you need to plough. Set the cutter to a shallow cut..
    IMG_1758 (640x480).jpg
    Try a few passes, adjust as needed...then a test fit..
    IMG_1759 (640x480).jpg
    Not too bad....
    Since this is WITH the grain, and not across the grain, spurs are either removed, or rotated up and out of the way.

Later in the project I am working on....I will need to change to a "Match" cutter, to make the tongue for a Tongue & Groove joint. Will need that as a glue joint at the corners of the box build.

Hope this helps others set their planes up. This one is from about 1925-1929 SW Era, Made in Roxton Pond, Que. Cananda.
    Trademark?
    IMG_1760 (640x480).jpg
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-06-2017 at 1:16 AM.

Steven,

Your 45 looks really nice. I don't know how much restoration you did, but it looks great. I haven't done any restoration work on mine, but someday I probably will. Mine is currently in extremely good user shape, but not to the "looks great" state like yours is. Cleaning mine up won't make it a whit more usable, but again, it is already in great user condition. Honestly, though, mine looks fairly good "as is" so it is not a high priority on my list of restoration projects.

Thanks for the tutorial on setting up the 45!

One question on the 45, mine was made a year or so before Stanley added the set up in the fence for making fine adjustments. I have thought about buying an extra fence sometime that has that feature.

My question is "how important is the fine adjustment feature on the 45?" If it is extremely handy it might be worth springing some bucks for, but if it isn't that big an advantage I will hold on to my pennies for something else that I don't have.

What do you think, worth spending some bucks for? On that auction site I think they run from $25 and up, some more than double that price.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-05-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Easier to change the fence settings. IF the cut is a little too far in from the edge. a few turns will correct it. Rather than loosen both thumbscrews to tap the fence in, or out. There IS a locking screw, to hold the settings. loosen it, adjust with the center bolt, lock it in place....usually while sitting right on the board being cut.

As to what came in the door, when this arrived..
    rusty plane.jpg
    Original box was basically "shattered" by the USPS....I build a new box to match the old one. Labels on the "new" box are wrong....old one has the Roxton Pond one.

Blog Entries
    My question is "how important is the fine adjustment feature on the 45?" If it is extremely handy it might be worth springing some bucks for, but if it isn't that big an advantage I will hold on to my pennies for something else that I don't have.
    It is a very useful addition to the adjustability of a #45. Just be sure if you do buy one it has the locking screw on the side. For some reason that bolt is often missing and it is an odd thread.

Fence Lock Bolt.jpg

The fence can be set with some spacers made of scrap for most simple plow work. Then the adjustment isn't as important. If one wants to make multiple cuts to shape moldings then the fine adjustment ability is indispensable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Getting ready to run a Match...
    IMG_1776 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    3/16" Tongue & Groove set. Bevels and backs have been freshened up....to 2500 grit. I intend to make a corner joint with these twocutters.
    tongue.jpg
    The #6 cutter makes the tongue, while....
    groove.jpg
    The #11 will mill a groove. Put these together to form a corner
    square corner.jpg
    Just glue and clamps. No fasteners needed...

An interesting plane..In its day, I image it was groundbreaking breakthrough...Later the 55 took over....Nice work restoring.
    Jerry

Well, got the last of the grooves milled, decided to reset the plane to mill a tongue...
    IMG_1796 (640x480).jpg
    No spurs needed, nor the depth stops.
    IMG_1794 (640x480).jpg
    Fence sits below the cutter...cutter actually hangs over the sides a bit on3/4" wide stock....
    IMG_1795 (640x480).jpg
    Depth stop has been set. Note the skates? Takes a try or two to get this centered on the board.
    IMG_1797 (640x480).jpg
    This is the Walnut part. I used a pine scrap to test the set up, first, then..
    IMG_1799 (640x480).jpg
    I work from the far end backwards until the tongue is milled...
    IMG_1798 (640x480).jpg
    Little rough, but...I was going against the grain.

Once the other end is out of the clamps..
    IMG_1800 (640x480).jpg
    And I get two more tongues milled, I can reset to make the groove to match.

Using this as a way to make a corner glue joint.
    Test fit 2.jpg
    Instead of fasteners, I use the T&G joint and glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    An interesting plane..In its day, I image it was groundbreaking breakthrough...Later the 55 took over....Nice work restoring.
    The 45 continued to be available alongside the 55, so I wouldn't say the latter "took over". I can think of a couple reasons why somebody might want either the 45 alone or both:

• The 55 requires more setup than the 45 to do simple things like grooving or beading. To do those with the 55 you have to remove extraneous parts (aux skate, second fence, etc), set the second skate level with the first, and carefully set the fence to vertical (short-changing this step seems to be a cause of much 55-related misery). Of course you can avoid those steps by just leaving your 55 configured for simple cuts, but if you're going to do that you'd might as well save some money and get the 45.
    • The 45 is better at round/hollow cutting, if equipped with the optional auxiliary soles for that purpose.

I expect that I'll be adding the Veritas combo alongside my 55 before too long. There's a lot to be said for the simpler, easier-to-use 45-style design.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-08-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Got the last of the tongues milled today..
    IMG_1803 (640x480).jpg
    So...needed to change over to the matching groove
    IMG_1806 (640x480).jpg
    Removed the fence and sliding stock, change the #6 cutter out for the #11 cutter..
    IMG_1808 (640x480).jpg
    Slide the fence back on, until the cutter will sit where the groove needs to be. I also set the depth stop..
    IMG_1809 (640x480).jpg
    Test the cut, adjust if needed, then plough away..
    IMG_1810 (640x480).jpg
    Then check the fit.
    IMG_1811 (640x480).jpg
    Adjust the depth stop if needed. and continue on.

A little candle wax helps thing slide better. I start at the far end and work back towards the "start" end.
    Simple as can be

A view of the cutters I got with this plane, when it came home..
    sets of cutters.jpg
    Have since added a few others to this pile. This is more or less the "basic" set of cutters one would get, when the planes was new..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    The slitter cutter is actually listed as one of the cutters in the set.
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Some of the nine beading cutters, and a sash cutter. There IS a mirror image of that sash cutter..a No. 5? That way, you can do both sides of a window sash. This came with the 1/4" match cutter, have since bought a 3/16" one. Also bought was a 5/8" bead cutter. A 3/4" wide one was reground to do rounds.

Ah interesting. Your #10 cutter is shorter than and lacks the hole that mine has. That actually makes it more compatible with the LV plane, but it also means that you can't use the adjuster to retract it on the Stanley combo planes as you can with the "with-hole" version.

Maybe I should lay all the cutters I have out, to where some can compare them? Next time I meander down to the shop, I may just spread them all out.

Keep in mind, Stanley had over a 100 different cutters. There was an entire box of "special" cutters for just the #55....

The "Basic" set for a #45 was only about...24 cutters?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Maybe I should lay all the cutters I have out, to where some can compare them? Next time I meander down to the shop, I may just spread them all out.

Keep in mind, Stanley had over a 100 different cutters. There was an entire box of "special" cutters for just the #55....

The "Basic" set for a #45 was only about...24 cutters?
    The 55 came with 4 boxes containing 52-55 cutters in all, depending on type/vintage. Of those 2 boxes are nominally compatible with the 45 (i.e. they work without an adjustable-height skate or auxiliary 3rd skate) and the other 2 aren't. As Jim has pointed out, people have figured out how to use some of the "55-specific" cutters on the 45 over the years.

The 45 came with 17-21 cutters depending on vintage.