Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Stanley No.45, box and all

OK. Here is what I currently have, in the way of cutters...
    IMG_1885 (640x330).jpg
    Straight cutters. The WIDE one is the #9 Fillister. These run from a #10 ( no notch) through a #19...and include the infamous #18-1/2...
    IMG_1887 (640x480).jpg
    My "Speciality" cutters. The plane came with the Sash cutter. I managed to find the 1/4" and 3/16" match cutters. There is another style of Sash cutter, simply a mirror image of this one. And the Slitter, which is list as a cutter. The 45 also has a separate depth stop that goes with the slitter.
    IMG_1888 (640x480).jpg
    Bead cutters...from #21 up to the 3/4" #29. The 29 has been reground to give me a "hollow cutter"

On these bead cutters, the skates need to be right behind the "quirk" part, to support the cutter.

Blog Entries

Changed the number of #55 cutters

Don't forget the "Special Cutters" available at an extra cost. For the #45 my recollection is the full set is over 40 cutters. The #55 has a total of 8 or 9 boxes and in the neighborhood of 95 cutters.

Beyond that I have a lot of cutters that were made by individual users.

That is a lot of individual planes.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-14-2017 at 6:17 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

While one can buy beading cutters with up to 4 beads......it is just as easy to merely reset the fence to add beads...
    front view.JPG
    Works great, to hide where the lid opens at...
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Even helps when I cut the lid off the box.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    While one can buy beading cutters with up to 4 beads......it is just as easy to merely reset the fence to add beads...
    Yep, and that's probably why Stanley's included reeding cutters for the 55 only went up to 2 beads. Diminishing returns in terms of productivity. I sort of chuckled to myself when I saw the 4-bead ones at LV...

Jim, do you know if they offered higher-count reeding cutters in the optional sets?
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-14-2017 at 8:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Yep, and that's probably why Stanley's included reeding cutters for the 55 only went up to 2 beads. Diminishing returns in terms of productivity. I sort of chuckled to myself when I saw the 4-bead ones at LV...

Jim, do you know if they offered higher-count reeding cutters in the optional sets?
    Heck, they likely wanted to get people hooked on cutting two reeds at once so they would pony up for the extra blades.

Yes they did, I have the optional set for the #45. It contains 2, 3, 4 & 5 reed cutters in 1/8, 3/16 & 1/4" sizes. There were also 8 fluting cutters in the special cutter sets. The set is rounded out with a pair of larger bead cutting blades, a tung cutting blade and a reverse sash cutting blade.

In a video made to go with my molding plane rehab thread a 4 reed cutter is used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLzrpsdcK0

It does give one a bit of a workout as when it is close to full depth it is cutting a lot more than what would be indicated by the width of the blade. It also has all of the radiuses to cut. Sharp really does help.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-14-2017 at 9:56 PM. Reason: Heck, they likely wanted...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    ... I sort of chuckled to myself when I saw the 4-bead ones at LV....
    One of the things Rick Blaiklock, of Lee Valley, talks about in his Newsletter Article introducing the Combo plane was initial iron selection they chose to offer. Apparently they surveyed their tool collection to find which combo plane blades showed signs of being used. I'm sure they'll evaluate demand and adjust when they see how sales are going. (Besides he doesn't share specific details, it may be 2-bead showed wear and 4-bead was a trivial addition so, why not?)

The Stanley #45's later versions had a adjustable fence feature...
    adjuster fence.jpg
    Where I can roughly set the fence, then use that large bolt to move the fence a tad, like when I try to get a groove centered on an edge. The smaller bolt? I use that to lock the setting in place.
    jigged.jpg
    Less guess-work. Set the fence to close to where you THINK it should be, then use the adjuster to fine tune things. Just remember to lock it in place.

Does anyone know if the Record cutter irons are the same ?
    Likewise, do Millers falls or any other manufacturers cutters exist ?

Does anyone make their own, from say ....a tablesaw blade ?

I would love to see a piccy of the sharpening arsenal for these planes, guys

Thanks for posting folks
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Does anyone know if the Record cutter irons are the same ?
    Likewise, do Millers falls or any other manufacturers cutters exist ?

Does anyone make their own, from say ....a tablesaw blade ?

I would love to see a piccy of the sharpening arsenal for these planes, guys

Thanks for posting folks
    Tom
    Howdy Tom,

A set of Record #405 plow cutters was given to years ago. They are metric and the only other difference noticed was the adjusting pin on the #45 was a bit tight in the notches of the Record cutters. It was easy to correct with a few swipes of a medium India slip stone in the notches.

An old post of mine has an image of most of my oilstone sharpening arsenal for shaped cutters:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hab-Enthusiast

Saw blades are good for making scratch stock blades. There are so many new and used plane blades available that would be good for making blades. Plow blades can always be reshaped.

jtk

Candle wax seems to work nicely in Birdseye Maple...BTW..
    groovy.jpg

Ok, today was a T & G day.....I WAS going to use the #6 match cutter..
    IMG_2065 (640x480).jpg
    Decided it was a tad too narrow....I got out the #5 Match cutter, as it has a wider footprint..
    IMG_2072 (640x480).jpg
    Boards were a tad over 3/4" wide, the 3/16" cutter would have left a whisker along the edges...
    IMG_2069 (640x480).jpg
    Once I figured out which way the grain was running, I could start at the far end, and work my way back...
    IMG_2073 (640x480).jpg
    Helps to wax the skates and fence with a candle.