Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum pump?

Vacuum pump?

I'm thinking about making a vacuum set-up to infuse wood. Vacuum pumps are expensive so I was wondering if there is a way to convert compressed air from my compressor to vacuum ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

A venturi type vacuum generator uses compressed air to create vacuum, but you'll need a compressor with a high CFM rating that can run continuously. I'm not sure if you'll get the level of vacuum you'll need for infusion.

We use venturi type generators at work but it's usually for lifting and placing parts.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I'm not sure the venturi effect can create sufficient vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    I'm not sure the venturi effect can create sufficient vacuum.
    Venturi vacuum generators are sold specifically for vacuum infusion. A friend of mine, John Tarpley, recently did a turning club demo on infusion. He uses a venturi device and operated it with a portable air compressor, at least for the demo. The venturi generator he used was incredibly quiet - I had always imagined them to be noisy.

I believe John said a large compressor was not needed since once the air is pumped out of the infusion chamber the valve is closed to hold the pressure. This is unlike a venturi used to drive a vacuum chuck on the lathe, a vacuum press, or clamp.

If you want more details, knowing John I suspect he would be happy to share his experience and recommendations with you.
    Here is a bit about him and I see it has his email address: https://www.morewoodturningmagazine....hp?writerid=26

John is a soft spoken, friendly, intelligent, and creative person.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-06-2017 at 7:32 AM.

Hi John.

The link does´nt work, can you repost it ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

I have a venturi pump from Vaccon (https://www.vaccon.com/standard-prod...mps-vdf-series) for vacuum pods. McMaster Carr re-sells these as well. My air generator consumes up to 3cfm of air, so you will need a good sized air compressor. I can generate up to 25" - 29" Hg vacuum. It is quiet at lower settings, but if I open it up it is noisy because I am basically exhausting air at 3cfm out a relatively small port. If you know how fast you want to evacuate the air and what vacuum level you need you might want to call them. They were very helpful in guiding me to the correct unit for my application.

Joe has an article too: https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneer...ng-chamber.htm

Hi John.

The link does´nt work, can you repost it ?
    I just tested it by clicking in the message and it works here. If I repost it would be the same link. If it still doesn't work you should be able to find the page with a google search for john tarpley woodturner and click on the link for More Woodturning Magazine.

JKJ

Thankyou all
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Go over to Air-Vac-Store.com, and look at their AVR series of venturi pumps. Most consume less than 2.0 CF of air per minute. The AVR 093 is used in a lot of commercial vacuum presses. If the inlet to your compressor has threads, it can be used as a vacuum pump. Be sure to add a filter to inlet line. Google "vacuum generators" for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    If the inlet to your compressor has threads, it can be used as a vacuum pump.
    I have an oil-less compressor that has threaded inlets & outlets, I reversed the air lines & it worked great as a vacuum pump.

Try doing a YouTube search for "converting a air compressor into a vacuum pump".
    There's also some good information on making a vacuum pump on joewoodworker.com

Doug

I have used the venturi pump that Harbor Freight sells, currently on sale for $18. According to my vacuum gauge it will not pull the full amount, while the small vacuum pump they sell does. I have no real reason to spend the $150 for the real thing, so I keep using my $38 version, that sold for $12 when I bought it years ago. I use it for my dye projects. It will cost you to get hose end connections to hook it up to a compressor, I think that set me back another $20.

Is it very noisy with that vacuum pump? I will try to find something similar in Europe
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Is it very noisy with that vacuum pump?
    The one I used is a dual cylinder (oil-less design) which is fairly noisy as a compressor or a vacuum pump. The slower speed oil lucubrated compressor pumps are usually a lot quieter.

I haven't gotten around to fully assembling my vacuum pump set-up yet since I need several more parts & fittings for it to operate/cycle automatically. But here's a few pictures of it just using ice-maker fittings to temporarily test it out. My plans are to use brass fittings & copper tubing for the plumbing & also add a electric solenoid valve/controller to allow the system cycle on & off as needed.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Would a water aspirator work? They are pretty cheap and can pull down to about 0.1 atm.
    http://www.iecpl.com.au/z_pdfs/ch1852+1853-001.pdf

An old compressor from a refrigerator or ac unit can be used as a vacuum pump. will exhaust oil and need to be refilled with oil but for short term use it is supposed to be okay.
    Bill