Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dial Calipers

Congratulations. I know you will enjoy it.
    To reiterate, in my opinion, I would caution you to not get to hung up on the accuracy it provides. It's nice to know that you have the capability to measure something to 1/128" or less, but do you really need to?
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by William Young View Post
    ...It's nice to know that you have the capability to measure something to 1/128" or less, but do you really need to?...
    Every operation introduces an accumulation of errors into our work, no matter how careful we are. Should we buy cheap measuring tools to compound those errors?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack dempsey View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks again for all of the information. I picked up a dial caliper from LV and after reading all of the comments here think that it will be fine for woodworking. I need to keep proper perspective here. At least for me at this stage of the game it could be nitpicking as far as accuracy goes compared to my skill level. I suspect as time goes on there may be a reason for another in the future. Thanks, Jack
    I have that one. I have three fractional dial calipers in the shop through duplicate gift giving friends. One I know is a Woodcraft from about 10 years ago. One is a Lee Valley which seems of equal quality and one is a Peachtree which is obviously a lesser tool. All have served me well at the DP, the planer and the bench. I have managed to never drop one so far. I think you will find one to be a valued tool after some period of use.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Every operation introduces an accumulation of errors into our work, no matter how careful we are. Should we buy cheap measuring tools to compound those errors?
    It's not my intent to start an "accuracy" argument, Only to point out that most dial calipers have "extra capacity" when it comes to woodworking. As always, get the best you can afford. But remember, a lot of fine woodworking was done long before there were dial calipers. My family has a nice mahogany chest that was made in the mid 1800s. With my dial calipers, I can tell that hardly any two pieces of that hand made chest are exactly the same size. So what? It is a nice piece of furniture that has lasted a couple of lifetimes.

I like my calipers and I enjoy trying to be accurate. But I also try not to get hung up on being more accurate that needed to achieve the end result.

Personally I can't stand the feel of cheap calipers. Nothing like a buttery rack. Accuracy? Not really a huge issue from calipers and wood. Buy to your budget and blow them it out with compressed air if you have to. I never have and I have had the same dial calipers in my wood shop from over 15 years.

I have a digital caliper and use it mostly as a depth or marking gage. It's also handy for measuring the exact width of a spline or similar then using the opposite end to set the fence.

My opinion is that a "reasonable quality" dial caliper is a very handy tool to have in the shop, particularly when you are in a situation that you want to match a thickness or make some other appropriate measurement. I say "reasonable quality" because "insanely accurate and expensive" isn't likely to pay off for this particular tool unless you also work with metal. Why? Even on the same day, a piece of wood may vary slightly in thickness over time and actually adjusting our machinery to such a high level of accuracy is difficult and sometimes impossible. So, while buying "quality" tools is a no brainer, spending a fortune for a dial caliper that will only be used with wood may not be the best financial decision. That said, it's perfectly appropriate for anyone who prefers buying "the best" to do so for this tool, too. That's a personal preference decision and something that only the individual can make.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd like to point out a couple of benefits to digital calipers. It's not useful on an everyday basis, but two benefits to digital over dial are that 1- they work in metric and English, which can be a plus if you ever need metric stuff, and 2- they can do relative measurements. You can measure one thing, hit Zero, then measure another, and it'll give you the difference between them. Again, not something most people would use super frequently, but it's a nice bonus.

Mitutoyos and probably other nice brands have a feature where you can switch back and forth between absolute and relative measurement modes without needing to rezero with the jaws closed all the way. Not something I use often but it's nice to have.

Chinese Starrett. $100 on Amazon.

Get the one from highland woodworking, inexpensive and works well. I wouldn't be without it, used it for 10+ years no problems with dust. Easy to read and accurate.

For woodworking I use this from Home Depot. $8.00

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-4-...2783/202035322
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I tend to buy multiples of things and use magnets to attach them where they are needed: Hex wrenches, tape measures, digital calipers, pencil cups, etc. I just pick up Grizzly digital calipers when they go on sale and buy button cells in bulk.

I do cabinet doors all day, so learned early on about how measuring errors add up across the width of the door: Rail cut length + 2 x Cope end trims + 2 x Stile widths. It is very satisfying to pump out doors as close to dead on dimension as possible.
    JR