Thread: Hammer woodworking project "top bar hive" from The Felder Group

Hammer woodworking project "top bar hive" from The Felder Group

Nature has always provided us with the exceptional material wood. In our latest Hammer DIY video project we want to give nature something back and build a top bar hive. See how easy woodworking can be on our most affordable Hammer machines. Happy woodworking!

Click Here for more projects from Felder.

Quite interesting,

Ron

While I'm not a fan of top-bar hives, that's a great project video. That said, I don't like the methodology they used for preparing the lumber. Cutting to rough length first...absolutely. But no way would I be ripping to width before I flattened and thicknessed the material at the J/P. Not only is that safer, but it also cuts out the step of edge-jointing. That said, it was very interesting to see a short-stroke slider in action and I learned a few things that might be helpful even with my longer machine. The magnetic attached deflector at the riving knife for small parts particularly caught my eye.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-07-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The magnetic attached deflector at the riving knife for small parts particularly caught my eye.
    That is the Aigner deflector. https://www.werkzeuge-fuchs.de/en/mi...ort-workpieces

Aigner has more interesting stuffs for the shaper, https://www.werkzeuge-fuchs.de/en/aigner?mnf=20.

You can download Aigner catalogue to see the detailed description of their product.

Yea, Aigner has a lot of really kewel stuff for many types of tools...not inexpensive, but quite elegant sometimes.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While I'm not a fan of top-bar hives, that's a great project video. That said, I don't like the methodology they used for preparing the lumber. Cutting to rough length first...absolutely. But no way would I be ripping to width before I flattened and thicknessed the material at the J/P. Not only is that safer, but it also cuts out the step of edge-jointing. That said, it was very interesting to see a short-stroke slider in action and I learned a few things that might be helpful even with my longer machine. The magnetic attached deflector at the riving knife for small parts particularly caught my eye.

Jim, I always crosscut and rip the rough lumber a bit oversize, then joint and plane to dimension. It's how I was taught by a cabinetmaker.

Yes the deflector wedge is very handy, keeps those offcuts out of the back of the blade........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jim, I always crosscut and rip the rough lumber a bit oversize, then joint and plane to dimension. It's how I was taught by a cabinetmaker.
    I do cross cut rough first because processing smaller/shorter pieces is better, but I don't like ripping anything until it's been flattened (at a minimum) but usually thicknessed, too. That way, my rips get done once instead of twice and the edge is "glue line ready" right off the slider. I never edge joint. It's personal preference, for sure, but that seemed like the best way when I thought through the steps.
    --