Thread: Live edge table

Live edge table

DSCN1882.jpgDSCN1880.jpgLive edge walnut table I just finished, ordered the stainless steel legs from a shop near Chicago
    called Econ Welding .How do you all think this do living outdoors on a covered deck year round in the St.Louis area?

what is the finish? I hope it is in a covered area.

Very nice piece and quite beautiful. The biggest challenge you're going to have with this living outside on the covered deck is going to be accepting the gradual color change to "shades of grey" due to UV, etc. If you used an exterior rated finish with UV protection, that will help prolong the color, but eventually it will likely fade. Nature of the beast. Walnut also gets lighter in general over time from oxidation, so you should also expect that to happen even while it retains its color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Besides potential warping from humidity changes, know that walnut is subject to lightening in the presence of light. I have a coffee table that sits in my sun room year round, and gets taken outside during parts of the summer. The sunlight has bleached it quite thoroughly. It's not unsightly, but even ambient sunlight, unfiltered can have a drastic effect. What is your topcoat (very beautifully finished BTW).

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Besides potential warping from humidity changes,...
    Okay, I'm going to hijack the thread a little. As I understand it, the issue with hygroscopic expansion is that we heat our homes, particularly in the snow belt. During winter, air gets sucked into homes, where it is heated. When it is heated, it dries out. That dried air gets applied to the furniture, where it sucks water out of the wood. The wood then shrinks and warps and such. The OP's table won't be subject to this annual heating cycle, and should be more stable than if it is indoors, no? (Of course, I'm presuming it is in a covered area so it doesn't get rain on it.)

The finish is 6 coats of ManOwar spar varnish