Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should i be able to make rail and stile cuts in one pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I think that quattromat runs at 26 ft/min. Enough to keep one guy hopping, but not fast enough to justify someone else tailing it.
    26 FPM is about right for an unjointed moulder and a single operator. I set up a lower outfeed table that allows 5 strips to self stack. While the sixth is running, I walk down and push the stack to the side and/or move them to a taller stack. The outfeed table is also the infeed for the crosscut station.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by andy photenas View Post
    Wow ! what a great bunch yall are! thanks for all the input. the numbers you guys are saying are so much more then i make now...... im alone in my shop and self taught so i have a lot ot learn but 100k is like 5x the value of what i am using now (i have 5 shaper tables most are small this is so i dont need to do setup on most jobs i use mortis and tenon faceframes so one bit for each of those cuts and then 3 for doors)! i cant see any way to get that kind machine in my shop.
    ppl keep talking about a cope backer for the profile side but i cant understand why you would do that on purpose ever? i always do all copes first then all profile cuts so the profile cut takes off the blow out from the cope. I always oversize all the width of my stocks but that is because i need to run most things at least 2-4 times to get acceptable profile cuts the way im doing it now.
    Why M&T face frames? Unless you would lose customers by doing it with pocket screws, I don't see a downside.

I cope first, and use a backer piece to eliminate/minimize the blow out on the outside edge. My system right now makes doors to finished size except for the tiny bit of material removed by bumping the top/bottom on an edge sander to get rid of glue squeeze-out and flush the joints.

I would make shaper tooling your next purchase (research carefully before committing) and work on an outboard back fence setup to run the sticking cuts.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    26 FPM is about right for an unjointed moulder and a single operator. I set up a lower outfeed table that allows 5 strips to self stack. While the sixth is running, I walk down and push the stack to the side and/or move them to a taller stack. The outfeed table is also the infeed for the crosscut station.
    I agree. That's about what I'm running for a feed rate on the shaper, much faster and it's tough to handle on your own. It leaves a nice cut too.

I've always wanted to set up an outfeed table that would easily stack up a whole mess of parts. Maybe a photo eye and an electric scissor table or something that drops down a step every time a part comes out. Stacks of five or six are nice to handle without fumbling and dropping things though

26 fpm is crawling. You should be able to run 50 to 70 fpm good quality from a good set up.

No real need to tail if you build a sloped out feed table and have it drop to a box.

I would like to have an unloader deck to go with my feeder deck on the Hydromat.

I run my shaper at 45 to 75 fpm for most common operations. You need tables.

No way would I get the cut quality I want with a shaper running that fast.

I've got infeed and outfeed tables on my main shaper. Or do you mean something different?

Blog Entries
    It really needs to only be as fast as the operator can control it. We cut the stiles to length, push in, power feed and put on the cart. Keeps one person pretty busy...

The system most shop in KC use...http://www.weaver-sales.com/ ...
    Last edited by jack duren; 09-10-2017 at 4:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    It really needs to only be as fast as the operator can control it. We cut the stiles to length, push in, power feed and put on the cart. Keeps one person pretty busy...

The system most shop in KC use...http://www.weaver-sales.com/ ...
    US concepts door machine is the only way to go anymore.
    One guy can shape all the parts in a few minutes with one machine.

Blog Entries
    If it's one machine with multi options stacked with one motor I'd pass...Is it?

https://youtu.be/oVNiXKGLcL4

Pretty sweet machines for cabinet doors.

One brand of door machine- I don't remember the brand name is known in the industry for having very small bearings on the spindles- like Delta HD, or Powermatic 26/27 small- hardly a machine that would last any time in a production environment.

If you need one of these machines, it might be more cost effective to just source them already made.

Definitely a timesaver, but a one trick pony, so you better be a cabinet door making shop.
    I think a quality shaper in a shop that doesn't specialize in doors only, would be the better investment.

thanks for sharing, again its so great to talk to ppl that know much more then me about this stuff. im fairly sure shaper bits are the next upgrade here now to choose some....!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    https://youtu.be/oVNiXKGLcL4

Pretty sweet machines for cabinet doors.
    Especially if you do lots of arched tops. Otherwise, i like power feeding stacks of sticking while dimensioning to exact width vs clamping/unclamping and manually pushing through each piece and having less control over part width.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    One brand of door machine- I don't remember the brand name is known in the industry for having very small bearings on the spindles- like Delta HD, or Powermatic 26/27 small- hardly a machine that would last any time in a production environment.
    Unique had light duty spindles originally. They may have gotten more robust over the years since i looked at them. One of my machinery reps once joked that this is why they added sanding heads to their feed through multihead shapers...
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Unique had light duty spindles originally. They may have gotten more robust over the years since i looked at them. One of my machinery reps once joked that this is why they added sanding heads to their feed through multihead shapers...
    As far as I know, they haven't. You have to step up to a HSK spindle before you get anything beefy, and then you're adding a massive amount of cost to it. The shape and sand machines that could be an issue since there's some load, but coping is a fairly light duty operation.

I'm pretty sold on that PMK coper, that seems like the ticket for my operation.

Only issues I have had with one of their machines is the darn air lines and fittings, heck it's like that on anything with air lines. Whirlwinds are the worst.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy photenas View Post
    Wow ! what a great bunch yall are! thanks for all the input. the numbers you guys are saying are so much more then i make now...... im alone in my shop and self taught so i have a lot ot learn but 100k is like 5x the value of what i am using now (i have 5 shaper tables most are small this is so i dont need to do setup on most jobs i use mortis and tenon faceframes so one bit for each of those cuts and then 3 for doors)! i cant see any way to get that kind machine in my shop.
    ppl keep talking about a cope backer for the profile side but i cant understand why you would do that on purpose ever? i always do all copes first then all profile cuts so the profile cut takes off the blow out from the cope. I always oversize all the width of my stocks but that is because i need to run most things at least 2-4 times to get acceptable profile cuts the way im doing it now.
    Even my cheap grizzly equipment can cope and stick on one pass using decent braised 4" cutters (unless I accidentally leave the shaper at 6000rpm)

On a side note , If you find clients that want thicker doors and deeper profiles, the 8pc freeborn passage/exterior door sets (or equivalent from another manufacturers) have enough versatility to do left and right copes (on cabinet doors under 1.250" thick) for less money that a left and right cabinet set.

1.150" door stock 5/8 deep groove, 5/8 x 5/8 profile, single pass. 25fpm on the sticking feeder. 5hp grizzly shaper.
    IMG_20171001_222023_383.jpg

20171002_094430.jpg