Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ribs, ridges and uneven surface from my thickness planer.

I had similar problems with my DW735. I do not like using heat with a torch as you can damage things. I just drilled the head off of the bolts, took the blades off and the rest of the bolt came out easily.

I tried heat with a propane torch but no success. I guess I will pick up a can of PB blaster and try that. Its really hard to get any tools in there though because there is only about 6 inches of space between the cutter head assembly and a bar that looks like it is for the height adjustment lock down. I am really nervous that the screw head is stripped because if it is then even if it gets loose with the PB I will still need a good strong purchase to free it. I'm really nervous about making this problem much worse than it already is.

I once had issues with a rounded out fastener in my Felder j/p. I epoxied an allen socket into the heads and used an impact driver to break the bond.

Adam if you pushed that machine that hard to dull the knives so far that chips stuck under the chip breaker.You should consider a upgrade.The planer might not be worth the time to fix. Some of those bench top machines are a dime a dozen on Craigslist.
    Aj

I had a similar problem with a blade assembly screw on a 2nd hand DW735 that would not budge. I ended up attacking the head of the screw with a cold chisel - first held vertically to cut a groove across the screwhead then at an angle on just one side of the head to get the screw moving. After I got it out, I replaced it with a Torx-head screw & wiped some Moveit on the threads to prevent seizing in the future.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Just wondering if you planed green or wet wood. It can be brutal on machines.

What I ended up doing was just drilling the the head out. Then I used a cold chisel to break the head from the shank then I was able to take everything out and use vice grips to get a hold of what was left of the shaft to unscrew it. I was really trying not to drill it because I wanted to re-use the bolt and because I did't want to damage anything by drilling out the side of the shank or drilling to deep. Luckily I drilled straight through the shaft and not to deep. To answer Bill's questions, the 8/4 was partially dried and the last pass I used the planner with on the 8/4 is when my problems started but the 844 was perfectly dry. However I believe the damage was done when staring on the 4/4. I want to thank everyone for giving me their time and advice I really appreciate it.

Glad it worked out Adam and hope you can get back to planning soon. I still say you (and everyone else) need to keep a can of PB Blaster on hand in the shop. That stuff works wonders on stuck screws/bolts .
    David