Thread: Waterlox for Dining Table

Waterlox for Dining Table

Folks, my last experience with polyurethane was frustrating with lots of bubbles.
    I have had great experience with waterlox and need to finish a red oak dining table.
    Does anyone know if it can hold up to water, spills etc?
    I plan to apply at least 5 coats.
    thanks,
    Stevo

Yes

Especially if you're going to build it up with numerous coats like you're proposing. In Bob Flexner's guide to wood finishing, he uses a scale of 1 to 5 to rate protective qualities of a finish where 5 is the most protective. He rates phenolic varnish (like Waterlox) a 4.

Absolutely! I use Waterlox on most all the tables I make with never a problem. The only countertop in my shop is finished with Waterlox and a wet glass sits on it most of the time to show clients how well the finish stands up to liquids. Remember, Waterlox started out as a floor finish.

I took a steam iron (full steam effect) to a walnut top through a damp towel, that was finished with Waterlox original sealer/finish to try to lift a ding in the table. Not so much luck raising the ding but the Waterlox couldn't care less about the steam abuse. I was most impressed and have used Waterlox since, for tables and bar tops without hesitation.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I believe it was originally marketed as a finish for gym floors, so must be pretty tough.

Stevo,

I have never used the Waterlox brand. I refinished my dining table with an alkyd resin varnish, which I believe is very similar to Waterlox, and it has been very satisfactory. No issues with protecting the wood. I would add that (IMO) alkyd varnishes are much safer to use when you are applying many coats because the coats tend to adhere a bit more than polyurethane. Polyurethane over cured polyurethane varnish does not adhere as well, and you can get witness marks when you rub it out. I have not had this problem with rubbed out alkyds.

Doug

Doug, you can avoid witness marks with polyurethane if you apply the next layer before the layer before cures. Once it's dry to the pinky test, apply the next layer. Later, you can rub it out, if desired, without worry of witness lines. At least, this works with Arm-R-Seal, so I expect it will with most any varnish.

John

John,

Thanks for the tip.

Doug